Racially Diverse Emojis Finally Here!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

On Wednesday, April 8, 2015, Apple released their iOS 8.3 update, the third major update to the iOS 8. The iOS 8.3 brings several new keyboard updates, featuring 300 more graphics, such as the release of racially and familial diverse emojis!

Apple users have been waiting for this release since the proposal was submitted last November. One of the most talked about feature is the option to choose from six different tones. “These characters are based on the six tones of the Fitzpatrick scale, a recognized standard for dermatology. The exact shades may vary between implementations,” according to Unicode Consortium, the organization that normalizes computer language and is responsible for emojis.

Not only does it feature a variety of different skin tones and same-sex families, but it also includes new flag, animal, food, and object options. However, these diverse emojis don’t work on a diverse array of devices yet. Without this new update, Twitter users will see an alien emoji in replace of the new emojis. 

There are other valuable features to this update, but the racially and familial diverse emojis finally make finding “someone like you” available through Apple Products. Of course there will be some who don’t like this new feature, but we should all recognize that this new feature stems to encompass all types of people and encourages equality through media. 

Saskia Kercy is a sophomore International Communication Studies major at Temple University and is loving every minute of it! When she's not writing for Her Campus or her own personal blog, she is out ravishing in life's edible pleasures and rallying for equality in her community. A research intern at University of Pennsylvania's Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program, she is working towards a career that will empower all people to have the ability and courage to express themselves no matter their race, gender, or economic backgrounds.
Kaitlin is an alumna of Temple University where she graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. At Temple, she served as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple and was a founding member and former Public Relations Vice President for the Iota Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta.  She currently serves Her Campus Media as a Region Leader and Chapter Advisor and was formally a Feature Writer for Fashion, Beauty and Health.