A Quick Recap of the New Hampshire Primary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

After a winter weather advisory and a snowy start, the New Hampshire primary was held on February 9, 2016. The winners of the Republican and Democrat primaries were Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders, respectively. Trump received 35.3 percent of the votes, with John Kasich in second place at 15.8 percent and Ted Cruz in third place at 11.7 percent. This was a major victory for Trump after recovering from a loss to Ted Cruz in the Iowa primary. According to Fox News Insider, Donald Trump said in his victory speech, “We are going to make America great again!”

Bernie Sanders, the first Jewish candidate to win a primary, received 60.4 percent of the votes, while Hillary Clinton trailed with 38 percent. Sanders and Trump both made recoveries after their losses at the Iowa Caucus. Clinton suffered the same fate that she did back in 2008 when she defeated Obama in the Iowa Caucus, but lost traction in the New Hampshire primary. However, according to an article by NPR.org, Clinton had actually won more “superdelegates” than Sanders. In the actual primary, Sanders won 15 delegates while Clinton only won 9. However, of the superdelegates (people who have already committed to a candidate), six said that they were voting for Clinton. This actually ties Sanders and Clinton at 15 to 15.

After the results, Republicans Chris Christie and Carly Fiorina reevaluated their presidential journeys.

On February 10, 2016, both candidates announced their resignation from the campaign and the race.  According to the New York Times, Christie wrote on his Facebook page, “And so today, I leave the race without an ounce of regret.”  The remaining candidates from the Republican side include Donald Trump, John Kasich, Ted Cruz, Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, Ben Carson, and Jim Gilmore. The remaining Democratic candidates include Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders. The next phase of the presidential race will occur on February 20, 2016. The Republican candidates will be heading to South Carolina for a primary and the Democrats will be making their way to Nevada for a caucus.

Temple University '19. Journalism Major with a minor in Spanish. Instagram: Arogers523 | Twitter: alexismrogers
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.