This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

The first few weeks of President Biden’s presidency seemed like a step in the right direction, but we must question if America is truly moving in the right direction. If the last four years taught Americans anything, it was how important it is to hold all presidents accountable for their actions, not just those we vote against. In honor of accountability, here is a quick run-through of various actions from the Biden administration.

Back in 2017, the Trump administration imposed a ban on allowing people from seven Muslim-majority countries to travel to the United States. Within his first day in office, President Biden declared this ban to be “morally wrong” and reversed the ban, showing a promising new direction for America. 

• Reopening of Trump-era detention centers. 

Throughout President Biden’s campaign, he promised Americans that he would not handle immigration the way Trump had and would provide a better pathway to citizenship for immigrants. However, an emergency facility is being reactivated in Carrizo Springs, Texas, to hold up to 700 children from the ages of 13 to 17. 

• Rejoining the Paris Climate Agreement. 

The purpose of the Paris Agreement is to prevent dangerous climate change and to lower the rise in the overall global temperature. Trump quickly decided to leave the Paris Agreement due to competitive disadvantages. Unlike Trump, Biden believes that climate change is one of the gravest threats to America, and rejoined the agreement. 

• Biden’s deportation promise. 

During a CNN town hall, President Biden originally pledged to halt deportations during his first one hundred days in office. However, the Department of Homeland Security has backtracked from Biden’s promise. The new guidelines from DHS solidified deportation discretion granted by the administration to ICE. Since taking office, the Biden administration has deported several hundred immigrants, and deportations are ongoing.

• Reversal of the ban on transgender people openly serving in the military. 

Within his first week of presidency, Biden reversed Trump’s ban on allowing openly transgender people from serving in the military. Biden’s reversal of this policy was seen as a huge step forward for the LGBTQ+ community.

When looking at any presidency, it’s important to hold leaders accountable for every decision they make. President Biden should be no exception. Accountability will prevent the phrase “any blue will do” from becoming detrimental to any form of progress in America.

Julia is a national writer at Her Campus, where she mainly covers mental health, wellness, and all things relating to Gen Z. Prior to becoming a national writer, Julia was the wellness intern for Her Campus. Outside of Her Campus, Julia is a managing editor at The Temple News, Temple University's independent student-run paper. She's also the Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Temple University, where she oversees content for all sections of the website. Julia is also a student intern at the Logan Center for Urban Investigative Reporting, where she works on the data desk and is assisting her editor in building a database. She has previously interned at The American Prospect. In her free time, Julia enjoys going to the beach as much as possible, watching reality TV (specifically Real Housewives and Vanderpump Rules), and editing stories.
I'm a social media fanatic. Between my work as a rising senior public relations student at Temple University and my personal blog (living-with-love.com) hobby, you can always find me on my phone. I'm from a small town in Connecticut and spend my free time doing barre workouts, rewatching television series, and reading new books. I joined HC as my first organization at college, and I can't imagine ending my academic career leading anywhere else!