Witchcraft Hero 01?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Witchcraft Hero 01?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Audrey Wu / Her Campus Media Design Team

Practical Magic and Practical Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Lessons from a wholesome Halloween classic, because tis the season (spooky and cuffing). 

Love, with all its intricacies, falls far from being “practical.” When your stomach is full of butterflies, your heart races at supernatural speeds, and you feel like you’re flying, you may get swept up in the, well, magic of it all. In honor of the Halloween season, Practical Magic seemed like the perfect film to connect to how we love, how we experience love, and of course, all things girl power.  

Love can be Frightening 

Maybe you aren’t cursed with any partner you love ending in a terrible fate but getting into any sort of romantic relationship can be kind of scary. Whether you are someone who has been in a few turbulent relationships, or whether this would be your first serious relationship, it can be scary to wonder about a new romance ending. Sandra Bullock’s character, Sally, was a prime example of this feeling as she avoided falling in love in order not to get hurt. However, we cannot let our past experiences hinder our nature of receiving love. Every relationship comes with its lessons, and it is perfectly okay to take things slow and build trust with any new partners. 

Sometimes we look for Love in the Wrong Places 

Unlike Sally, who was very hesitant to fall in love, Nicole Kidman’s character, and Sally’s sister, Gillian, flung herself full force into her relationships. Wanting love, and wanting to be loved, is not wrong in any way, shape, or form. However, when you chase a feeling rather than the person attached to it, it can cause you to become tangled in a web of people that aren’t necessarily the best for you. Remember to trust your gut and listen to your heart about how someone makes you feel. You’ll know when they are the right one for you.  

Love Comes When You Least Expect It 

So maybe your next partner won’t be a state investigator working on a missing person case (hopefully not), but they might come when you least expect them. If there’s anything I have noticed, it is that the best things in life tend to come when you stop searching for them. No, that does not mean stop applying to jobs and one will fall in your lap, but sometimes taking a breather and focusing on loving and living with yourself naturally brings the right people into your life.  

Build Your Coven 

Sure, dating is cool and all, but you know who’s never made you cry (hopefully)? Your besties. Girl power and friendship are such strong, magical forms of love. Whether you are condemning the demon of your toxic ex or waking up for midnight margaritas, quality time with your best friends will remind you how respected and valued you are and should be treated, as well as that romantic relationships are not the end-all-be-all in life. Take this time to think about the gang that makes up your “coven,” and consider having a midnight margaritas night. It sounds like a lot of fun, actually.  

And in the Words of Sally Owens Herself… 

Fall in love whenever you can. It doesn’t have to be a romantic or sexual sort of love. You can spread love to your friends, your family, your neighbor, and even yourself. Love can come in the form of buying yourself a delicious waffle and hot chocolate and listening to your favorite song. It can come in the form of facetiming a family member to check in or simply because you miss them. That’s the magic of love, it flows through everything. 

Next time you are looking for a fall movie to watch, try Practical Magic. I hope it can be as inspiring and heartwarming for you as it was for me.  

Brynne is a senior Advertising major at Temple University concentrating in Copywriting and Art Direction. She is interested in all things fashion, music, romance, and art. When she is not writing for Her Campus, you can find Brynne creating her billionth Spotify playlist, frequenting the nearest spot selling iced coffee and bagels and lox, or online shopping.