Philly Celebrity: Alanna Ralph, Photographer and Esthetician

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

If you can make it past the rough streets of Kensington,  you’ll enter Fishtown to find the treasure chest of beauty that is Salon Blush. At her full-service salon Alanna (pronounced with a hard ‘a’) Ralph is dedicated to making women feel sexy in their skin. She offers waxing, make-up, hair, skin and nail care. When she’s done beautifying you she can even take your picture in her photography studio complete with props, costumes, and set pieces. But before the salon became a hot spot on Philly’s 2011 Hot List, it was just a twinkle in her eye.

From a young age, Alanna enjoyed playing with her mother’s bath products and oils. As she got older she took her interest to another level.

“In high school I always made mineral-based make-ups and made my own purses and that’s how I was making money,” she says.

Combining her love for cosmetics with a love for classic beauty, the business-minded Alanna conceived the idea of a vintage-style salon. After earning her esthetician license, she found the space to create her dream establishment, and then her plans snowballed.

“My idea was to make a boutique-make-up-studio type thing. It turned to a full-fledged salon,” Alanna recalls.

Then, about four years after opening the salon, the pictures she and her brother took of her clients’ hair and make-up became a full-on photography career and extension of the salon. Now Salon Blush hosts “Blush Pinup Parties” and private photo shoots where women can discover their inner bombshell.

Oftentimes the womenshocked by the outcome of the shoots.

“I just show people who you truly are, how people actually see you,” Alanna said. “Women are so hard on themselves. They look in magazines and they’re like—skinny, beautiful skin, just gorgeous. Anybody can look like that. Everybody does look that. You’re comparing and you shouldn’t compare because everyone’s unique.”

We couldn’t have said it better, Alanna!

Salon Blush is located at 2407 E. York Street in Fishtown.

*Beauty Advice from the Guru:
Sugar scrubs are perfect for winter skin. Mix equal parts sugar and oil for an at-home skin fix!

Become a fan of Alanna Ralph!: https://www.facebook.com/Blushphotographystudio?sk=wall

Also, take a look at her salon–Salon Blush!: http://www.ilovesalonblush.com/

Jaimee Swift is a Senior majoring in Communications. One of her many dreams is to become a broadcast journalist and to meet and work with the infamous Anderson Cooper. Her hobbies include reading everything in sight, running, dancing crazily, laughing uber hard, watching movies, and consuming as much juice as possible. Jaimee is so overjoyed to be a part of such a magnificent site such as Her Campus Temple University. Ever since the days of her youth, she has strives to make a difference and bring positive change to all that she touches. She still holds on to that mindset and hopes to bring positivity and creativity to Her Campus Temple University!