An Open Letter To My Freshman Year Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Temple looks a lot different than it did three years ago. Morgan Hall stands tall on North Broad Street. Barton Hall is being knocked down and life as a senior is much different than life as a freshman. A lot changed since you arrived on the scene of Temple University brimming with excitement and optimism for your next four years. I know you feel prepared for this next phase of your life, but I have some news for you- you’re not.

College isn’t only about getting a degree for you; it represents freedom, independence and discovering who you are. You’re right because it is about all those things, but growing up can be hard and you will learn some tough lessons. You will also experience a lot. Some will be fun and some will be heartbreaking. The feeling of landing your first internship will be a high and the feeling of fear after being groped at a party will be a low. But you’ll learn that no what the experience is there is something you can learn from it.

I know that parties scare you, alcohol scares you and well… college boys scare you. That’s okay because I promise while the nightlife scene at Temple may seem dangerously intimidating on the outside, it is (fairly) safe on the inside. Just know this: the parties aren’t going anywhere and a night spent exploring the city with your girlfriends can be just as fun (if not more) than a night party hopping throughout North Philly. With that said, sometimes the irresponsible choice really is the best choice. Go to that frat party on a Thursday night and then stuff your face with Maxi’s after because it’ll be worth it.

Your friends will confront you and call you out on your crap. That guy you kissed at a party will never text you. The dream internship you applied for won’t contact you for an interview. You will gain weight and it won’t be the end of the world (even though it might feel like it). You’ll make lifelong friends. You’ll have nights where everything makes sense and you’ll wish you could hit pause and live in those moments forever- so appreciate them. You’ll make mistakes and then you’ll make some more and then maybe you’ll learn from them.

I guess if I could give you one piece of advice it would be that you don’t have to go to every party, you don’t have to sleep with a guy for him to like you, you don’t have to get A’s in every class and you don’t have to stay the same person you were on your first day of college. The college experience will look different for everyone. Thankfully for you, your experience will be full of laughter, friendship, fun, challenges and incredible growth.

So please do us both a favor and quit worrying so much, take a breath and enjoy the ride because senior year will be here before you know it. Oh… and #GoOwls

Paulina is the former Arts & Entertainment Editor at Her Campus Temple University. She is a senior Journalism major and Sociology minor, who plans to pursuse a career in magazines after graduation. She enjoys anything relating to current events, pop culture and inspirational quotes. She can most likely be found watching Netflix, taking Buzzfeed quizzes or trying out new restaurants in Philadelphia. You can follow Paulina on Twitter & Instagram @paulinajayne15
Kaitlin is an alumna of Temple University where she graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. At Temple, she served as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple and was a founding member and former Public Relations Vice President for the Iota Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta.  She currently serves Her Campus Media as a Region Leader and Chapter Advisor and was formally a Feature Writer for Fashion, Beauty and Health.