This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

I know Zoom is a pain, but it is our new standard for a while. It’s very easy to roll out of bed and join class, but personally, when I have a little makeup on, it helps me not fall asleep during my lectures. When I feel confident, it is one less thing to focus on during my classes, and these products have saved me for Zoom University. 

During quarantine, I was guilty of not doing my usual makeup routine, which got me in the habit of not wanting anything heavy on my face. I have been using a few simple, lightweight products that have changed my makeup game. Starting, I have a very odd but useful hack. That is using a self-tanner to contour my face and nose. This step immediately takes 10 minutes off my average time to get ready, and whenever I use my self-tanner trick, I don’t feel the need to wear concealer! I saw some women using this trick on different social media platforms, and I thought it never hurts to try (especially in quarantine, where if it looked terrible, nobody could see). I use the tanner trick before I go to sleep, and I wash my face like usual in the morning to get all the excess off. 

My next must-have is a highlighter! I use a light highlighter during Zoom U, so I do not use my typical blinding highlight and accidentally blind my professors. A balm or liquid highlight helps get that glow-from-within look. It helps make sure you don’t look like you pulled an all-nighter, even if you did. On the topic of trying to look like you got a full eight hours, I always use a white or nude eyeliner on my waterline. The white liner gives your eyes the illusion of being more prominent, which translates to looking awake and alive even during your eight AM classes. My best friends have been using this trick, and they have been obsessed with it. If you go to any drugstore, they have multiple white liners that you can pick up for less than ten dollars. 

I also make sure to fill in any sparse areas in my brows because my camera makes them look worse than they are, so this is a must for me. Finally, I always put on a thin coat of mascara to look like I tried to be presentable for class even after just waking up. These few steps help me to feel confident and stunning (like we all should). Putting on some makeup or doing my hair for class helps give me that productive feeling to start my day. You don’t have to wear makeup to feel glowing, because glow comes from within.

Starting your day with a little TLC, like doing your makeup, will put you in the mood for a productive day. Catching your highlight on the Zoom camera is always a positive thing. Whether you have your camera on or off, a little pampering moment in the morning will help improve your mood in a situation that has us all feeling a little blue. Just because you aren’t going out doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do the small things to improve your mood!

Lauren Dumas

Temple '24

Hi! I'm Lauren Dumas and I am a political science major with a strong passion for all things beauty and fashion. I am here to help everyone feel comfortable and beautiful in their own skin!
I'm a social media fanatic. Between my work as a rising senior public relations student at Temple University and my personal blog (living-with-love.com) hobby, you can always find me on my phone. I'm from a small town in Connecticut and spend my free time doing barre workouts, rewatching television series, and reading new books. I joined HC as my first organization at college, and I can't imagine ending my academic career leading anywhere else!