Skin Treatments Worth Price Tag Feature Hero
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media
Wellness > Health

Necessity or Desire? Skincare Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

With just one click of a button, I am closer to obtaining a skincare product I had viewed online.  

The skincare frenzy is an ongoing trend, especially with the rise of TikTok enabling users to view videos from content creators talking about their latest favorites to skincare “holy grails.” 

I am no exception and become entranced by simple words like “dewy skin” or “glass skin,” slowly reeling me in this spiraling addiction.  

Some items I have bought are toners, serums, moisturizers, sunscreens, and eye creams.  

Would I re-buy some of them? 

Yes.  

Do I regret buying a few? 

Yes.  

I do believe research is key when searching for the right skincare routine, rather than blatantly following an influencer on the media. From Instagram to TikTok, influencers hold power over their audience. 

It can be easy to cave in to influence, especially with videos including links to the products shown, pressuring the user to purchase the item within a minute. I am guilty of this accessibility and pleasure, but I am considering a skincare detox from my purchasing habits.  

It happens time and time again. With four to five skincare items shipped to my house, I always open the box with hopes of magic to invade my dull skin. To my dismay, I begin to break out slowly as the weeks go by.  

However, there are a few key mistakes that I never really seem to learn from, no matter how many failed attempts.  

My first mistake was not introducing the products slowly on my face. Without doing this, it becomes difficult to pinpoint which product caused the sudden breakout and I’m left silently questioning where the fault truly lies.  

Again, knowing your own skin type is crucial for learning how to properly take care of it.  

I began my skincare journey a few years ago, but it is still ongoing progress. Researching the vast list of skincare ingredients in different skincare products has helped me immensely in identifying which are beneficial for my particular skin type, or the products that will negatively affect my skin.  

I am still learning but cutting down on skincare purchases and am letting my skin heal from my pervious skincare desires.  

Lisa Uddin

Temple '25

Hi, my name is Lisa! I am a current staff writer and secretary at Her Campus Temple. I cover topics related to healthcare, beauty, and any relevant news on the media or at Temple’s campus. I am a junior, Health Information Management student at Temple University. Beyond Her Campus, I am involved various clubs such as Period and Temple’s Health Information Management Student Association (HIMSA). I am the social media manager for HIMSA, and create content for the club on X and instagram. I have a strong passion for poetry, and I enjoy immersing myself in literature during my leisure hours. Whether it's delving into poetic works or writing my own short poems.