This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

There isn’t a day that I don’t wonder why my skin hates me so much. For years, I’ve felt like I’ve tried everything to obtain perfect, glowing skin. When you think about it, your face is the first thing people see when they approach you. And of course, the type of pimples I get on my face love to stand out for everyone. I’ve always felt as if people were saying things behind my back, wondering if I knew how to take care of my skin. It brought many insecurities, and I felt like I always had to resort to makeup. I could never feel good about myself.

Listening to my friend’s and family’s suggestions, studying various YouTubers, and just praying a miracle will come seemed to be my only options. The one product I bought when I was a kid, and still regret to this day, was Proactiv. I saw the TV commercials that showed side-by-side comparisons of the before and after results of people around my age. Once I bought it, I did notice some decent results. Still, when it ran out, my acne came back like, “Hey girl, you miss me?”  After trying Proactiv, I decided to buy a high-end product that an Ulta employee encouraged me to try. Since then, skincare products started to pile more and more in my bedroom. If I ever saw a famous person rave about a product, I would run out and buy it, not even knowing how my skin would react. There’s so many factors contributing to annoying acne: eating the right foods, changing your bedsheets, or having a good skincare routine. After constantly waking up and looking in the mirror to see what new pimple arrived, it can be hard to not know what to do when you feel like you’ve tried everything. I finally decided to consult a dermatologist and thought that all my prayers would be answered. The funny thing is that she said everything I already knew or heard from someone else! After that visit, I knew I needed to start figuring things out on my own if I wanted to achieve healthy skin. 

Suddenly after, I started mixing Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar with my water every day, and good results were finally coming through. All credit has to go to my dad for encouraging me to research vinegar and stick to it daily! It’s hard to get used to the taste, but the benefits helped not only my skin but everything else throughout my body. I tell all my friends to try it, because I believe it works wonders if you follow through. I’ve also been able to find a daily routine that works well with my skin. In the morning, I wash my face with Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser, use a light toner from my local dollar tree, and use The Ordinary Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG for my under eyes. The last thing I like to use is Cerave AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion. For my night routine, I clean my face with the Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water All-in-1 Cleanser & Makeup Remover. Next, I pick a random face mask to use, but this step isn’t necessary every night. After that, I’ll use the same toner from my morning routine and finish off with Cerave PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion. After reading tons of information about skincare and people who continuously struggle with acne, I’ve found ways to improve my routine. I have sensitive skin, so using fewer products that are more gentle has worked for me. Now and then, I like to switch up with my routine, because I don’t want my body to get used to the same products. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still struggling with my skin, but it’s all a learning process. 

One thing I’ve learned throughout my continuous battle with my acne is that I don’t care what people think. It’s completely normal, and everyone is always insecure about something with themselves. Just go out and stunt with your skin. People should accept you for who you are, PERIOD. When I’m always on social media seeing how certain girls’ skin looks, I wonder why mine doesn’t look like that. I catch myself having self doubt about how my skin turns out some mornings, but I just remind myself that I’m not alone. During my journey, I’ve learned to truly love myself.  Everyone’s different, and I’m perfectly fine with how I look. Just remember you are beautiful! 

I’m Taylor Carmichael and I’m an Senior Journalism Major at Temple University. I’m all about happiness and living life to the absolute fullest. I enjoy dressing out of my comfort zone and taking tons of cute photos. If I’m not sticking my head in the books I’m enjoying time with my friends and going on memorable adventures. I’m outgoing, love to make people laugh and just having a good time.
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!