This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Many of us can relate to a bad haircut or style that has left a more significant impact on us than most of us would like to admit. For me, it was an accidental mirco-bang cut in the 5th grade. It left me completely jaw dropped, in tears, and never accepting bangs as a legitimate hairstyle for myself ever again…until recently. 

I’ve had my fair share of pink, purple, and blue hair dye. Bleach and balayage looks have been my BFF since 2015. At the age of 21, I am finally done with the crazy colors and the expensive upkeep of hair dye (need to save that cash before graduation). I needed something new, trendy, and was not going to leave me sobbing. As my hair fell flat on my head, I lost all patience. That’s when I got the idea to go back to my old friend, bangs. Not the bangs that fell flat across my face and tickled my eyelids, but I wanted more lowkey bangs that would jazz up my look while also staying out of my way. I scrolled on my Pinterest and fell in love with curtain bangs.  

Curtain bangs are a fantastic way to add texture and volume to your hair without making a big commitment. If you don’t know what curtain bangs are, look up a google image of my inspiration for this cut, Farrah Fawcett. Miss Fawcett’s are a little much for me, but you’ll know exactly the look I was going for when diving into this journey. If you’re hesitant to make the jump, you can still get them long enough to tuck behind your ears and throw in a ponytail. When I go for long jogs, sometimes the bangs come loose but trust me-it’s not that bad. 

Many people tend to worry about styling bangs and feel a little intimidated by the whole process, but I’m here to stop that stigma. It is the most straightforward process and takes minimal effort. First of all, my bangs do not get styled unless I’m grabbing a socially distanced dinner or coffee with a friend nowadays, so I only do this on weekends. I straighten one piece of bang at a time and immediately roll a portion into a roller and clip it. As I do my makeup and get changed, I leave two rollers in and after 30 minutes to an hour, I take them out, and I’m left with entirely swept back bangs (in true Fawcett style). There are also many other ways to get swept bangs and tons of short tutorials on YouTube on how to pull these off.

Seriously, if you are ready for something new and don’t want to blow mega cash on hair dye, try a simple curtain bang to spice up your hair. Now is a great time to try out something new in quarantine because if you don’t like it, you can grow it out. Overall, I’ve felt more confident and comfortable with myself since the day I got them cut, and I encourage anyone who’s on the fence to try it out. Let’s just say I’ve been taking quite a few more selfies.

Olivia Falcone is a senior at Temple University who has been involved in Her Campus since her freshman year. She is so excited to be a staff writer for the Beauty and Fashion team at HCTU. In her free time, she enjoys playing guitar, online shopping, and reading magazines.
I'm a social media fanatic. Between my work as a rising senior public relations student at Temple University and my personal blog (living-with-love.com) hobby, you can always find me on my phone. I'm from a small town in Connecticut and spend my free time doing barre workouts, rewatching television series, and reading new books. I joined HC as my first organization at college, and I can't imagine ending my academic career leading anywhere else!