CPL Sections MAKEUP?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
CPL Sections MAKEUP?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team
Style > Beauty

MY FAVORITE MAKEUP DUPES

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

If you’re a makeup lover like me, then you know the feeling of wanting to try new products without completely squandering your money. 

Something I’ve learned the past couple of months is you don’t always have to buy high end products to achieve your desired look. Let’s talk about my personal favorite makeup dupes that will leave you looking good and your wallet full.

One thing that is very important to me when I do my makeup is having good eyebrows. I like them well defined, and filled in. When I was finally allowed to do my makeup on my 16th birthday, my mom bought me tons of high-end products including the Anastasia Beverley Hills Brow Wiz, I loved it. It got the job done well and I received many compliments on my brows when I used the pencil to fill and shape them.  

However, when the pencil ran out, I realized I didn’t want to blow $20 on a new product. So, I did some research and found a brow pencil from NYX Cosmetics that worked the same and was half the price of the Anastasia pencil. It lasted a long time and gave my eyebrows the same effect. To this day, I still get complimented on my brows. I will never spend $20 on a brow pencil ever again!  

Another favorite dupe of mine when I’m going for a bolder eyebrow look is the Revolution Brow Pomade. It works the same as the Anastasia Brow Pomade and is a lot cheaper. It also gave my eyebrows the exact same look. These products are worth buying if you love doing brows but don’t want to spend a lot of money.  

Another must for me is eyeliner. I love how it makes my eyes pop and goes with any makeup look I do. However, since I use eyeliner almost every day, I am constantly spending money on new ones because the product runs out quickly. I’ve experimented with many high-end eyeliners including the R.E.M. Beauty Eyeliner, and the Huda Beauty Eyeliner. While they worked great, they did a number on my wallet.  

All it took was seeing my sister use the Nyx Cosmetics Eyeliner which lasted her months, for me to decide to give it a try. It was the best decision I ever made. It had a fine tip which made the liner easy to control and never smudge off. It also lasted me a couple of months before giving out which really surprised me. I’ve also seen many makeup artists and TikTok influencers use eyeliner in their everyday makeup routines. It’s truly a must have product for eyeliner enthusiasts!  

After your makeup routine is done, you’re going to want to make sure it lasts all day. I for one refuse to spend 20 minutes on my makeup for it to come off in a couple of hours. Setting spray has been a true game changer in my makeup routine. Not only does it make your makeup last, but it also allows you to mattify or illuminate your base. Setting spray can also prep the skin to allow it to absorb makeup easily.  

So, the question becomes, does one need a high-end product for such an important step in one’s makeup routine? Fortunately, the answer is a big no! I’ve tried the Urban Decay Setting Spray which worked for me and made my makeup last. I’ve also used the NYX Cosmetics Setting Spray which gave me the exact same effect. Save that money and get yourself a setting spray from NYX Cosmetics.  

Last but not least is lipgloss. Beautiful, shiny lips go well with any makeup look and it’s not hard to see why. It looks classy yet natural and can pair well with a good lipstick or lipliner. I remember getting the Fenty Beauty Lip Gloss for Christmas and absolutely falling in love with it. I wore it almost every day and yet because it was small, it ran out quickly. I was mortified when I went to Sephora and saw I would have to pay $20 for another one.  

My friend quickly put me on to the Maybelline Gloss for only $10 and I fell in love all over again. It gave my lips the exact same look and the brand had a variety of different colors to choose from. In my opinion, it was completely worth it and didn’t feel like just another cheap, sticky gloss. If you’re a fan of Rihanna’s Fenty gloss collection, check out the Maybelline Gloss. You won’t regret it and will never spend $20 on a lip gloss again!

One thing I’ve learned in my makeup journey is that I didn’t need to use all high-end brands of makeup to achieve a flawless finish. The cosmetics industry can be very expensive but there’s no shame in seeking out cheaper alternatives. Good makeup dupes for a broke college student like myself are life savers and have me looking flawless on my way to class. Enhance your beauty routine and save that money!  

Hi! I’m a sophomore and I’ll be writing for the fashion and beauty section!