This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

There are a lot of mixed feelings about date night attire. For those who are newly in a relationship or casually dating, it might be a little lonely to see a constant reminder of that, with the repetitive Mary Kay and Pandora commercials on TV and seeing those stuffed teddy bears, boxes of chocolates and flowers at the checkout line at the store with nobody to buy them for you. For those who are in a relationship, there is more pressure to make the significant other happy. There is an expectation to splurge on gifts and fancy dinner dates. What is least stressful about it? Pulling off a cute outfit. Most people immediately think of red, which sure is easy and attractive, but there are so many more colors to play with.

couple holding hands in a restaurant on a date
Pexels / bruce mars

Reds

Red is such a popular color to feel sexy in. Men love it. Red is an intense and sexually attractive color and the color of desire, love and passion. There is no rule for what shade of color to wear. Try a bright and bold shade. Or, a dark one, burgundy, crimson, wine — whatever you want!

Pinks

Pink is another popular option. It’s the color of gentleness, nurturing and youth.

Purples

A softer shade of purple, like lavender or periwinkle are the best options for dates specifically, but wear any shade you want. Purple is symbolic for extravagance, mystery and wealth.

Soft Blues

Who says blue has to be a “boy” color? Honestly, I look great in blue, so I’m going to wear it if I want. Some symbolic meanings of blue are confidence, intelligence and loyalty. Blue is a great choice to wear because the color has a calming effect. For someone like me who doesn’t really like attention, there’s no need to be more nervous for the date than I already am.

White

White is the color of innocence, purity and perfection. Now, I’m not any of those (insert LOL here) but I love the color and now I have an excuse to wear all white.

Black and white

I understand that to some, black and white creates an image that brings us back to when we were kids and had to follow a dress code for school performances. I remember that, too. Now I love the combination! I love matching my favorite Michael Kors dress (I didn’t think the stripes looked good on me at first but my boyfriend loves this outfit!) with a pair of knee high socks, a leather jacket and corset belt. Black and white is super chic and just reminds me of classiness. It’s super easy to look dressed up even if you aren’t actually dressed up.

All Black

Black on a date is often a no-no. It symbolically means “rejection.” Ridiculous. Sure, black can be a depressing color, but it is also sexy and mysterious (and badass). Whether I have a date or not, an all black outfit is my favorite color to wear. Something about it makes me feel strong and empowered. 

Dressing up for a date is fun whether in a relationship or not. For me, dressing up is a way to forget about all that lovey-dovey stuff and pressures that come with dating. There are so many colors to choose from, really. Why conform to one?

Ashley Regina Morris is a staff writer for HerCampus at Temple University. She is a communication studies major with a minor in tourism and hospitality management and balances academic life while working at a restaurant and for a hotel. Come to her for fashion and beauty advice if you are on your way to the working world or are a commuter student.
When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator.