Movie Review: “Sierra Burgess is a Loser”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.
Spoiler Alert! Don’t read if you haven’t watched “Sierra Burgess is a Loser” yet.

Remember Barb from “Stranger Things?” No? Okay, well the one that was friends with Nancy, and then got sucked into the Upside Down and ended up dying down there… the weird girl? Now you remember?

Well, she’s starring as another weird girl in “Sierra Burgess Is a Loser.” The movie depicts Sierra Burgess as a girl in high school who is seen as the outcast. She gets picked on by the prettier girls and the guys don’t even notice her.

Watching Sierra Burgess was almost bittersweet. The whole time I was watching, I was laughing at how ridiculous she was being while also crying at the insecurity and the self-image issues she faced.

She was being bullied by the ‘popular’ girls at school one day when she decided to come back at them with a comment that hurt the other main character, Veronica.

Later that day, the love interest of the story, Jamey, came up to Victoria and was flirting with her. Instead of giving him her own number she decided to give him Sierra Burgess’ phone number. I’m not sure how this is payback in any way, but Victoria believed it was. I mean, he’s the hot guy… I don’t get it!

Anyway, Sierra received a text from Jamey and decided to have a conversation with him. Of course, at first she didn’t know he was under the impression that he was texting Victoria, but she soon found out.

Sierra was shocked but she kept up the act. She even went as far as making a deal with Victoria. Sierra offered to tutor her in exchange for Victoria to act like she has been talking to Jamey the entire time.

But wait, who told her it was okay to catfish someone though? Seriously, what did she think she was going to get out of that? I was cringing the entire time as my sister and I watched the situation unfold.

Like I said, the film was bittersweet because as this weird and awkward situation unfolded, watching Sierra Burgess and Victoria’s friendship grow was beautiful.

It was a little too beautiful. I thought this was a love story? We were watching Sierra Burgess and Victoria give each other deep, intimate stares because of their girl drama.

Seriously…like come on, we don’t care. Get to the good stuff… Jamey.

He’s super hot… Why not focus on him? Wasn’t he in “To all The Boys I’ve Loved Before?” He’s literally everyone’s love story.

Sierra and Victoria were just playing with his heart. Sierra acted like she was deaf when they accidentally met so he wouldn’t hear her voice! How horrible is that?

My sister and I literally died when she started to do fake sign language. Then, his brother turned out to be deaf too… awkward… And that’s not even all!

She went to the extent of having Victoria and Jamey meet up! He thought he was kissing Victoria when in reality, Sierra was hiding under the car the whole time waiting to pop up and seal the deal when he closed his eyes!

I guess it worked out for her though. She gets the guy, and he understands why she decided to catfish him.

I’m sure they could have done better with her dress for the dance though! I mean, come on, she looked like she was wearing an Easter basket! But hey, who am I to judge…

Moral of the story is that “Sierra Burgess is a Loser” turned out to be completely not what I expected. Plot twist, Sierra even turned out to be the mean girl!

Who would have known? I’m not going to sit here and say don’t watch it because I probably would watch it again, but, just don’t expect the typical love story when you click this as an option on Netflix.

I just wish there was more Jamey…. Right!?

I am a communications and media studies major as well as a senior at Temple University. I host a podcast called Confidence Brings Success and love to write on my spare time! I am fun, outgoing, creative and love to laugh! IG: @Atomicalexis_ IG: @confidencebringsuccess website: https://thelifeofmeunseen.wixsite.com/website