Library Company of Philadelphia Offers Fashion Blast From the Past.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.
Nestled in the 1300 block of Locust Street is the Library Company of Philadelphia  (LCP). The Library Company houses many different historical items and is also a library that contains a collection of non-circulating books. According to a Library Company’s Chief of Reference, Cornelia King, the LCP tries to have exhibitions about twice a year.  Currently, the exhibition that is free and open to the public is Fashioning Philadelphia: The Style of the City, 1720-1940. The exhibition, curated by Wendy Woloson, contains some pieces that are already a part of the LCP’s collection. It will be able to be viewed at the Library Company until March 4, 2016. “For us, it’s been a very successful exhibition,” said Cornelia King. The exhibit combines informational text with books, ads, artwork and items of clothing and accessories to inform the viewer about fashion in Philadelphia. The areas of the exhibit vary from the 1700s to the start of department stores such as Wanamker’s and Strawbridge’s. The exhibit travels through time chronologically as you walk around the room. The first part of the exhibit displays images of Benjamin Franklin. The text states that Benjamin Franklin was America’s “first fashionista.” The oldest item in the exhibition is a fabric scrap from the 1720s. According to the exhibition, “As early as the 18th century, Philadelphia was a trend setting place.” The exhibit explains in text and images that Philadelphia was the place to be when it came to fashion in the 1700s. Philadelphians wore outfits that were similar to the styles of the British.

Curator Wendy Woloson’s goal with this exhibition was to educate people on the history of Philadelphia and fashion, “I wanted to tell Philadelphians and visitors to Philadelphia something about their own history. We were once a city that made stuff — one of the most successful producers of consumer goods in the country, if not the world, especially when it came to things like shoes, hats, fine fabrics, and so on. We were also a major innovator in retailing and in fashion publishing.” Some major magazines of the times were published in Philadelphia including The Souvenir and Godey’s Lady’s Book, which featured early fashion plates. Some of the fashion plates are on display at the exhibition. The exhibit also has a segment that focuses on the thriving production industry that was once a part of Philadelphia, including information about John B. Stetson’s hat factory which spanned over 9 acres in Philadelphia. “Few people realize that at one time our manufacturing capabilities surpassed New York City and that people looked to Philadelphia to set trends. We typically don’t think of Philadelphia as being in the vanguard, especially when it comes to something like fashion, so I was trying to change this perception,” said Woloson. Fashioning Philadelphia is a must see exhibition for anyone who is interested in the history of Philadelphia or the history of fashion. It is informational and interesting to see “I think it’s interesting to see how things have evolved,” said Kimberly Martin, a graduate student at Rutgers University. And evolved we have, no more petticoats and white powdered wigs for the Philadelphians of today.

Madeline is a sophomore Advertising major at Temple University. She is a total fashion junkie. You can usually find her in a thrift store or at the clearance rack looking for the best prices. She also has a strong love of social media, cats and 90's music. When she's not writing about fashion or beauty, she's writing short stories and poetry or taking photos. She is most happy when she is able to be her quirky, creative self. Madeline can be reached at madeline.archambault@temple.edu. You can also follow her on instagram @madelinearchambault.
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.