This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.
As you may have noticed, summer has said its goodbyes and introduced us to 

its strange friend named Autumn. The air is no longer thick with humidity, but crisp 

and cool. Nature becomes deciduous, and paints the town with magnificent colors. 

Many people embrace this time of year with open arms and nuzzle up in their warm 

flannels and big scarves. But I’m not buying in. I’m just going to come out and say it; 

Autumn you puzzle me. I don’t think I can trust you and I have my reasons. 

First of all what’s with the name? You’re the only season that has 

conveniently given yourself a nickname. I get it, I get it, “fall” because the leaves are 

falling from the trees. Maybe we should nickname all the seasons based on the 

status of the leaves on its trees then. Spring is now, “grow”, winter can be, “gone”, 

and summer will be…”present.” Or we can just not be ridiculous and stop 

nicknaming seasons. So, sorry “fall”, I’m going to call you autumn, because it’s only 

fair to the rest of the seasons. 

Now that we have cleared that up, what is it about you that makes everyone 

catch “pumpkin fever”? I understand that it is the bountiful crop of the season, but 

it’s gone too far. Pumpkin-flavored things are getting out of control. I can’t walk 

within 100 feet of a Starbucks without being hit with a potent wave of Pumpkin 

Spiced Latte’s scent. I yearn to have the days back when pumpkin pie was the only 

pumpkin treat of the season. I digress, because there are lists of pumpkin flavored 

tragedies that already exist. Not a good look for you, autumn. 

Your fluctuating weather is nearly impossible to get a grip on, especially in 

months like October. Fashion magazine shove scarves, sweaters, and boots down 

our throats, and eventually we give in. We scurry off to our shopping malls and 

splurge on warm clothes that have seasonal hues, fur lining, and knitted with 

warmth. Of course you know what happens next. We pick a day to debut our new 

fall clothes, and then autumn decides to mess with us. “Oh wow! Look at your nice 

warm clothes and fashionable layers. Here, have a 75 degree day,” you say 

mockingly as we sweat into the soles of our new boots. Autumn, you can be a cruel 

villain sometimes. If you listen closely to the breeze on a fall day, I swear I can hear 

you laughing at all of us. 

Let’s not forget about Halloween. Is it just me or is this the most stressful 

holiday of the year? You’re trying to tell me that I have to spend upwards of $50 on 

an outfit that I will only wear once? And all of the DIY options are out of the question 

too, because unfortunately I’m not part of the five percent of the population who is 

capable of crafting an entire costume. This holiday is understandably fun for kids 

under the age of 12 because they can walk up to a stranger’s door and receive candy. 

Could we extend the age acceptability for trick-or-treating please? Trust me, a 

struggling twenty-something year old college student would appreciate a free face 

full of chocolate just as much as a 12 year old. Instead, we are encouraged to drink 

pumpkin flavored vodka and call it a night. Thanks, autumn. 

So autumn, I don’t’ mean to attack you if that’s how it seems. There are plenty 

of things I enjoy about you. Nothing is better than devouring a plate of wings with 

you friends on football Sunday. Thanksgiving is arguably the best holiday for food, 

and it’s great to get together with the family after some time apart. And I’d be lying 

to you if I said I didn’t get serious satisfaction out of carving a Pumpkin once a year. 

You do have your likable qualities autumn. I’ll do my best on being a little less 

judgmental, and you just work on getting pumpkin-flavored things off the shelves.
Maddie McDonald is a Senior Media Studies and Production major at Temple University. Aside from being a staff writer at Her Campus Temple, Maddie is the PR/Community Director for WHIP Temple Student Radio. Maddie is pursuing a job in radio, but enjoys writing about current trends in media, specifically music and sports. In her free time Maddie enjoys playing basketball, tweeting, and perfecting her spotify playlists.  She is also a writing intern for Trebel Music.
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.