This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Fun fact: according to a report from the CDC, people ages 15-24 make up only 25 percent of the sexually active population. Here’s the kicker — that same age bracket makes up 50 percent of the 20 million new sexually transmitted infections (STI’s) that occur in the United States each year.

Now that fact wasn’t actually fun at all. But, hopefully it captured your attention, especially for the ladies because 1 in 4 sexually active adolescent women have an STI like Chlamydia or Human Papillomavirus (HPV). Coincidentally, Chlamydia and HPV are two of the most common types of STIs that run rampant on our campus (go owls am I right?).

That statistic isn’t meant to scare you, but it should make you at least think about getting tested or using a condom. Sure, the pull-out method might keep you from getting pregnant, but it doesn’t stop you from getting the clap. Just food for thought.

If you’re concerned and you aren’t sure where to even begin with getting tested or simply just getting some advice, you can start by making an appointment with student health services or stopping by the Wellness Resource Center (WRC).

Student health services can provide students with low-cost STI testing. If you don’t think an appointment is necessary right now, stop by the Wellness Resource Center in Mitten Hall, they’ll be happy to give you advice about sexual health. Plus, if you have diamond dollars, you can even buy safe-sex supplies like condoms, dental dams and lubricant at prices as low as 10 cents.

The Wellness Resource Center doesn’t just stop at safe sex supplies, they also have several informative and interactive programs, like the peer education program, that will leave you more informed and aware about safe sex.

“We train students to be able to go out and have these conversations on sexual health for those who have requested it,” said Wellness Education Program Coordinator, Brittany Robinson.

Student organizations, sports teams, RA’s and instructors can all request a program that’s facilitated by the WRC’s peer educators.

“The peer educators go out and host things like ‘Sex Jeopardy’ and ‘Sexercise,’ and they both cover a lot of different categories within sexual health and go over things like communication and boundaries,” Robinson said.

The WRC also hosts bigger events just in case you don’t want to venture out on this sexual health journey on your own.

On April 4, the WRC hosted the TU Test Fest, which combined campus and community resources that students can to talk to about their different STI testing options. There were also a number of giveaways and other fun activities at the event.

“The great thing about TU Test Fest is that its hosted by the bell tower, so even if folks weren’t necessarily familiar with the event, seeing it in that very public area makes people stop by and interact with the resources that are around,” Robinson said.  

It’s never too late to learn about sexual health — it’s better to educate yourself than to just cross your fingers and hope for the best every time you encounter a new sexual partner. Know your stuff and get tested, there will be absolutely no shame in your game.

Gabby Houck

Temple '22

Journalism major who just wants to speak people’s truths and pet every corgi I see.