Let’s Talk About Supergirl’s Alex Danvers and Maggie Sawyer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

The second season the The CW’s “Supergirl” premiered on Oct. 10. With only a few episodes in, viewers realize that “Supergirl” isn’t the only one with a secret.

Alex Danvers, the adopted sister of Kara Danvers, also known as Supergirl, meets detective Maggie Sawyer in the third episode. Fans instantly noticed the chemistry between them and thought about the possibility of a relationship between the two women.

This summer, executive producer Andrew Kreisberg, who works on “The Flash,” “Arrow,” “Legends of Tomorrow” and “Supergirl,” revealed that one of the characters from these shows will explore their sexuality and come out. He did not mention which character, but after these episodes of “Supergirl,” many fans thought it would be Alex Danvers.

It turns out fans were right!

In the episode, “Crossfire,” Maggie recently broke up with her girlfriend and Alex tries to comfort her by asking Maggie to go get drinks together. Maggie thought Alex was asking her out and said she didn’t realize Alex was into girls. Alex said she isn’t, but after much thinking, Alex came out to Maggie.

Kreisberg told The Hollywood Reporter, “No one should ever feel like they’ve got a secret inside of them. The idea that, in going through this, even if it is painful and rough going, that Alex is going to come out the other side a happier and more complete person.”

Earlier this year, several TV shows were criticized for killing off important lesbian characters. Within 30 days, four lesbian or bisexual female characters were killed in their respective TV shows, such as “Jane The Virgin,” “The Walking Dead,” “The Magicians” and “The 100.” This became known as the “Bury Your Gays” pop culture trope. Many fans were angered that so many LGBT characters were being killed off on shows or simply used to move the plot along for the main character. They demanded better stories for characters in the community.

That is exactly what fans will be getting in Alex’s journey of coming out. Alex is not just the sister of Supergirl. She is a strong, intelligent, and kind woman who works on saving the city with her sister. With this season, fans will get the chance to know Alex a little better as she explores her feelings.

Kreisberg says, “Especially on a show like ‘Supergirl’ where there are so many fantastical elements, we try to make sure that the emotions are as real and true to life as possible.” He continues, “We just wanted to make sure we were telling the story in as respectful, educational, entertaining and thoughtful way as we could.”

You can watch “Supergirl” Mondays at 8 p.m. on The CW.

My name is Michele Mendez and I am a student at Temple University studying Media Studies and Production. I like to write about all things pop culture, but I especially love covering music. Have a story idea? Contact me: tug15970@temple.edu
Samara is currently a senior Journalism major at Temple University. She has always possessed a passion for writing and currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Temple. Eventually, she hopes to work in the magazine industry. In her free time, she loves exploring the city of Philadelphia, trying new restaurants, and attending concerts. Samara can be reached at samara.grossel@temple.edu.