International Women of Temple: Khanya Brann

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Perhaps it is her wide, infectious smile, or perhaps it’s her voice; a hint of Trinidad still lingering in a sing-song way, drawing you to Khanya Brann. Whatever it is, it’s certainly a gift because Khanya is not just a budding creative, but also an intellectual. Even though you may be the same age as her, she seems generations ahead; full of wisdom, hope, and inspiration. Her work is equally impressive, as it draws on the composure and grace that Khanya holds within herself. Each and everyone of her photos captures something revealing about our society. Much of Khanya’s work is centered around the black woman, visceral, mysterious, dynamic, and beyond beautiful.

Major: Journalism

From: Trinidad and Tobago

Involved In: Aperture Agency, Uniquely You Summit, For The Love of Black Girls

What made her interested in photography:

“Capturing memories. I got a camera in 6th grade while I was still living in Montreal, and started documenting all the class field trips. The one that stands out to me most is our class trip to l’Oratoire Saint Joseph. It was a really sunny winter day and I remember crouching down and taking pictures of my friends against the sky and shots of the view down from the hill. I don’t think I have the photos anymore but I vividly remember what they looked like, and how I felt while I was taking them.”

A little bit about Uniquely You Summit.

“UYS is an organization that works to empower young black girls through events, a leadership series and an annual summit. My mom sent me to one of the summits when we first moved to the U.S. because I was going to a predominantly white private school and she wanted me to meet other black girls. I really enjoyed it and eventually got involved in some of their other programs, and in 2013 I was a Cover Girl, which basically meant I helped with promotion for and be on panels at the Summit. I also got involved with their blog, fortheloveofblackgirls.com and served as Executive Editor and then Editor-in-Chief until 2016.”

What purpose she hopes her photography serves:

“Right now, my photography is mostly a form of self expression. I’ve had people reach out to me and say that they’re inspired by my photos, or that it makes them appreciate black beauty more. I think the latter is the most important purpose I could ask my work to serve (after being an outlet for self expression). I want black people (specifically women, currently) to see my work and be proud of their own beauty.”

What inspires her visually:

“Bold colors, textures, shapes and attitudes. I’ve also recently developed a greater appreciation for makeup looks and the extra edge they add to editorials.”

Her favorite piece and why:

“Currently, my favorite piece is one from the last shoot I did with Fanoraine, my friend and favorite model to work with. I’m so inspired by her confidence and fearlessness, and I think both communicate themselves through her photos and online persona (follow her on IG: @glitters_and_goldemplums).

We shot this in the freezing cold last December and put the whole look together right before. The whole thing felt very cohesive and it was the first shoot I felt proud to show people in a long time.”

Anything we should expect in the future:

“I took a bit of a break from photography. It definitely wasn’t intentional at first, I just kind of got stuck in a rut that lasted for more than I would have hoped. It’s been hard digging myself out of it, but I’m ready to start getting back creating!  I’m currently Director of Communications for Temple’s photography club, Aperture Agency, and we’re working on some cool projects. Come out to our end-of-semester exhibit on May 2nd in Annenberg Hall to see some great photos. Hoping to have some new work by then!”

Khanya’s Go-To Breakfast Spot:  Green Eggs Café, where she orders the vanilla French toast with berries.

Follow Khanya on Instagram (@_afrokhan) for more of this young woman’s fantastic work.

Yaz is a current sophomore at Temple University, where she is pursuing a degree in Political Science with a double minor in French and Spanish. She is a member of Alpha Xi Delta Fraternity, as well. When Yaz is not writing or re-watching Parks and Rec, she is filling up on the latest political news around the world or attempting to learn a new language.
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.