Insert Poop Emoji Here: 7 Things You Need to Know About Poop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.
“Everyone does it,” that’s what we tell kids anyway. But then as we get older “it” becomes the un-discussed, completely disgusting thing everyone does. Well get over it people because here is an article all about POOP and come on, no body can deny they didn’t rock out to Let Me Poop.

The 7 Things You Need To Know About Poop: 

1. It’s Important! 
The things that come out of your body…need to come out! While 75% of your poop is made up of water, there are dead and live bacteria, mucus, fiber and other cells that make up the other 25%. 

2. Color Matters 
The color for the most part directly relates to what you are putting into your body. The foods you eat will reflect the color of the matter. If you eat a lot of green or red foods, you can guess what will happen. But certain medications can cause it to turn a white-ish color. Jet-black is a color you want to look out for. It could be a sign of high iron, but it could also be a sign of bleeding in the upper gastrointestinal tract so keep an eye out! 

3. And Smell
“The nose knows” as everyday health puts it. If your stool is overly smelly then that could be a sign of infection. Don’t freak out though, your poop is suppose to smell but if it is over the top then try and keep track of it and can be linked to celiac disease, Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis. 

4. Size too…
The size of your poop(s) says a lot about the amount of fiber you are taking in. Dr. Mehmet Oz of The Dr. Oz Show explained that the perfect stool is log shaped or S-shaped, which just means that it is one full piece instead of marbles or pebbly-looking. Marbles are bad and often times suggest that you need more fiber because it not only helps you go but it also helps everything stick together when exiting the body. Side note: if you are having pencil-thin shapes, it could be a sign that the opening is being narrowed or blocked, which can be a result of rectal cancer. See a doctor! 

5. Gas 
It’s healthy, people! It helps us get rid of bacteria that is in our bodies. According to a study from the American College of Gastroenterology, a person passes gas around 10 to 18 times a day. 

6. Avoid Reading 
Unfortunatly this also includes playing games or going through social media on your phone. Sitting on the toilet for an extended period of time can cause swelling around the anus. The pressure that you put down there when sitting on the toilet is not good and causes strain to the area. The blood flow can get restricted and can cause bad hemorrhoids. 

7. Regular 
When talking about your business, the only thing that matters is your schedule. It doesn’t matter if your friend poops twice a day and you only go once every other day, the only thing that matters is that it is consistent. When the steadiness of your schedule gets messed up it is usually due to a change in diet or possibly a vacation or time away from your normal everyday routine. So don’t feel embarrassed if you have to go at work all the time, you’re actually normal! 

Yummy Fiber: 

Well now that we just talked our poop’s appearance and schedule, lets talk about food! According to Web MD and the Institute of Medicine women need about 25 grams of fiber a day, and men need 38 grams. Most people know beans are high in fiber, but here are some other options to fulfill your appropriate fiber intake.

Fiber One: 
Personally I am a huge advocate for Fiber One products. They are delicious and good for you and the variety is great. 

Chia Seeds: 
These seeds can go in just about anything from smoothies to replacing eggs in recipes for cakes or cookies. They contain 5.5 grams of fiber per tablespoon!  

Flaxseed: 
You can add flaxseed to yogurt, oats and even use it for breading on chicken or fish. Two tablespoons will give you about 3.8 grams of fiber with an added boost of omega-3s. 

Food List: 

1. Blackberries and Raspberries 
– about 8 grams per cup 

2. Avocados 
– 6.7 grams per half 

3. Pears 
– 5.5 grams per medium sized fruit 

4. Whole-Wheat Pasta 
– 6.3 grams per cup 

5. Oatmeal 
4 grams per cup 

6. Lentils 
15.6 grams per cup 

7. Peas 
8.8 grams per cup 

8. Broccoli 
5.1 grams per cup 

9. Kale 
7 grams per cup 

10. Quinoa 
– 8 grams per cup 

Lindsey is a senior magazine journalism major at Temple University. After she graduates in May she hopes to return to NYC, which she fell in love with this summer during her ASME internship at Real Simple magazine.