This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

As we all know social media, especially Tik Tok, has made a huge impact on our society and has heavily impacted many of the current fashion and beauty trends. For those of you who don’t know what Tik Tok is, it is a social media app where anybody can post short videos about whatever they want. Many trends and styles have gained popularity on social media, and now many people are beginning to wear certain things that they saw on the internet. 

There have been numerous people who have blown up on social media, and have also left a huge impact on fashion. Emma Chamberlain is probably the first person that comes to mind when you think of an influencer changing the fashion world. She is responsible for numerous trends such as flared yoga pants, teddy jackets, and sweater vests. After seeing her wear those items, many apart from Gen-Z had started to begin dressing similarly, and this had also caused brands to start selling clothes similar to that. With the way Tik Tok’s algorithm works, it is possible for anybody’s videos to blow up, and with that ability, there have been numerous creators who have gained a following for their fashion sense. Clara, otherwise known as @tinyjewishgirl, has gained lots of attention on her Tik Toks for her unique style. She often uses clashing patterns, bright colors, and bold statement pieces in her looks, and tops it off with a bold colorful makeup look as well. She has become one of the main faces, and style icons for the experimental looks. Not only has Tik Tok introduced us to experimental looks, but it has brought light to y2k looks, 2000’s grunge, minimalist looks, and also has made layering pieces more common. There are many other creators who are continuing to change the fashion game and bringing light to new styles. Some of my favorite Tik Tok creators include: 

@kat.gold: She gives hypothetical situations and shows you how to style certain staple pieces for those events, or similar events 

@madeleinecwhite: Madeleine has a very vintage 90’s channel inspired look, and she does ‘get ready with me videos’ showing how she does her makeup and how she is going to dress for the day. 

@.peytonrollins: Another creator who does ‘get dressed with me’ videos, but her style ranges from that ‘New York City’ going out aesthetic, to more laid back casual looks. 

@lilrotini: Does numerous different kinds of fashion videos, such as styling bold items into a classy look, shows people how to style staple pieces, and does many ‘get dressed with me videos’. 

Social media is the deciding factor of what is considered in style and trendy right now, and in today’s society, many young men and women have gotten inspiration from online creators. Many people online have been asking for skinny jeans to make a comeback, because people do not want to wear things that the media doesn’t find in style. Although social media gives good style inspiration, I think that people shouldn’t wear things they like because their favorite influencer isn’t. Whether or not social media has a positive or negative impact on the fashion world is a toss up, but be sure to log into Tik Tok in a few weeks, to see what the next big trend is.

Katie Leis

Temple '25

Hi! My name is Katie and I am the TikTok Coordinator for the Temple University Chapter! I post lots of things about our staff as well as pop culture topics, as well as TikTok trends.