Avocado
Avocado
Jessica Kelly / Spoon
Wellness > Health

If life gives you avocados, use them.  

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Remember how the folks say, “All you need is love?” NOPE, all you need is an avocado.  

And that is exactly the point, there I was in my kitchen debating what I should prepare for breakfast with the limited options in my pantry. My stomach grumbled with each minute, alas my final verdict was of course avocado toast. My usual.  

I understand if someone may stray away from an avocado due to the texture or taste, but if you haven’t dived into the idea of an avocado in your meals, then you’re missing out on the endless opportunities to have a smile on your face. An avocado is only versatile if you make it versatile by including it in your meals and drinks.  

Here me out, I first loathed the thought of an avocado in my meals. I could easily construct a different meal to satiate my hunger, but 2020 had other plans for me.  

I bought a singular avocado from my local grocery store to test out this so-called superfood being raved about by online influencers and my peers. While toasting my whole-grain, 15-seeded bread on the pan, I started to concoct an avocado spread.  

My lack of knowledge in the avocado department was apparent once I took my first bite out of my slightly burnt toast. It tasted like regret.  

“Did I just waste two dollars on an avocado?” 

I quickly relayed my thoughts of this two-dollar superfood in my iMessage group chat. My friend said she adds a hint of lime, pepper, and salt to her avocado spread for a kick of flavor. 

I decided to try again, looking at the singular avocado sitting on my kitchen counter as I toasted my whole-grain, 15-seeded bread.  

This time a smile formed along my round face seconds after my first bite, I could get used to this. My avocado journey officially commenced.  

I incorporated half an avocado on my morning toast, while the second half was blended into my fruit smoothie for lunch.  

Unsurprising, but I also added avocados to my dinner meals as well. From a chicken, rice, and avocado bowl to some pasta with avocado as a topping. The options were limitless and a lifesaver as a college student who does not have time for consistent grocery shopping.  

Lacking flavor in your meal? Add an avocado, simple.  

The use of an avocado does not stop there, but you can save your avocado seeds to sprout if you are lucky. Clean and peel the skin off the seed and cover the seed with a damp paper towel then place the seed in a zip-lock bag near the sun and wait a few weeks to allow it to germinate.  

If life gives you avocados, use them.  

Lisa Uddin

Temple '25

Hi, my name is Lisa! I am a current staff writer and secretary at Her Campus Temple. I cover topics related to healthcare, beauty, and any relevant news on the media or at Temple’s campus. I am a junior, Health Information Management student at Temple University. Beyond Her Campus, I am involved various clubs such as Period and Temple’s Health Information Management Student Association (HIMSA). I am the social media manager for HIMSA, and create content for the club on X and instagram. I have a strong passion for poetry, and I enjoy immersing myself in literature during my leisure hours. Whether it's delving into poetic works or writing my own short poems.