Wellness > Health

I Can’t Control Everything, But I Can Control My Hair 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Since I was three years old, I have had incredibly thick hair and a lot of it. It has always been difficult for me to take care of it, though I do love to experiment with different hairstyles. Despite how unmanageable my hair can be, it does grow quickly. If I do something I don’t like, it will grow back within a couple of months. It is a way for me to have some control over my hair, and as a way of reclaiming a part of myself.  

Whenever things seem out of my control, I change my hair to bring back control in my life.  

This is actually a common occurrence. Often when people go through particularly draining periods of their lives, they reach for the scissors and/or hair dye. It’s a way for people to hold on to what they can, or even signify a fresh start. Psychotherapist Sara Kubric explains “a hair change can mark a new beginning or be symbolic of letting go.”  

I had to wear a uniform in middle and high school, so my hair was my only outlet for self expression. I opted for chopping off half of my hair in sixth grade, and then dyed half of it blonde right after I finished seventh grade. Were these great hair choices or even executed well? Absolutely not, but it was my hair. By doing this, I was able to establish it as my own.  

My last two years of high school were characterized by the COVID-19 pandemic, breaking up with my boyfriend and the college decision process. Important aspects of my life were changing rapidly, and I was becoming an adult at an alarming speed. It seemed like I had no control over my life, so I took it out on my hair.  

I tried out bangs at the start of lockdown. Then tried the e-girl pink hair strands after my breakup, Later, I chopped off my hair once again (though it did look better than when I was 12), after my family and I put down my childhood dog. Important aspects of my life were changing, so why couldn’t my hair as well?  

Now in my twenties, I have realized how freeing it is to be able to change my hair as I please. It is how I have always shown self expression, and it is my own way of reclaiming myself when everything seems to be going wrong.  

I can’t control everything, but I can control my hair.  

Gianna is a staff writer for Her Campus at Temple University, and a sophomore at Temple University. She usually writes under the Health section, and often covers her personal struggles with mental health and body dysmorphia. Gianna has loved writing ever since she was little. In high school, she had an internship with her local newspaper, also writing for the health section. In college she writes The Temple News and the Templar Yearbook. Her home is in Southern Delaware with her three dogs (who she misses dearly) Keno, Caesar, and Nero. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @ggvogess