This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Although I am only a second semester freshman, I am fully aware of the wrath that classes and academics bring. It can be stressful and overwhelming to manage the academic aspect of college. I compiled some tips and tricks to get through this semester of college.

1. Write everything down

I’ll admit: I struggle with this step. However, it is so much easier to avoid missing assignments if you jot things down. It is hard to forget something when you have it written down in front of you. 

1. Plan ahead

This step is extremely hard, even for me, to accomplish, but it helps eliminate unnecessary stress. If you have an essay due in two weeks, try to spend time on it each day. By accomplishing a small amount of work a little at a time, you will save yourself from pulling an all-nighter trying to finish an assignment. 

1. Practice self care

The only way to succeed in school is to take time for yourself. Practicing acts of self care, like watching your favorite tv show or going out with some friends, will improve your mental health and help you perform better in school. Also, it will prevent you from feeling burnt out. 

1. Improve your health

Maintaining a healthy diet and participating in frequent exercise allows your brain to think more clearly.  According to Health Essentials, exercise can also improve your brain health as well. “We know that physical exercise, and aerobic exercise in particular, is very beneficial for maintaining brain health, even in people who are at risk for developing dementia and Alzheimer’s disease,” says neuropsychologist Aaron Bonner-Jackson, PhD. “You can make a major difference in terms of how your body is functioning and, as a result, how your brain is functioning.” 

Exercise will benefit your mental performance, which allows students to perform better in school. Along with this, getting an adequate amount of sleep will help improve academic performance.

Overall, while it may be challenging, succeeding in school is entirely possible with certain habits. It is important to strive for academic success, while taking time to tend to your mental and physical health. Always remember that everyone is facing academic stress, and to reach out for help if you need it.

Meghan is a sophomore psychology major at Temple University. She enjoys reading, traveling to new places, and eating mozzarella sticks.