Style

How To Support Sustainable Fashion While Social Distancing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Online Thrifting

I have definitely been missing going to thrift stores and looking through all of the clothes. However, there are a ton of stores online that you can buy thrifted clothes from, too! Some of my favorites include Depop, Poshmark, and eBay! My favorite out of those three is definitely Depop, but all three are fun to browse, and you would be buying secondhand clothing instead of buying new clothes. Additionally, my favorite local thrift store is Bulk Vintage, and they sell bundles of clothes on their website. They have bundles that include things like bandanas, vintage women’s jeans, vintage t-shirts, Levi’s cutoff shorts, 1990s dresses, denim skirts, and more! Their prices are amazing for the clothes you are getting, so I definitely would recommend checking them out.

Upcycling

I know that I have clothes that I don’t like any more, so I have been trying to come up with ideas on how to upcycle them so I can wear them again in a new and fun way.

1. Sewing

There really is no better time to learn how to sew than right now. If you have access to a sewing machine, you can completely transform an old piece of clothing into something new. I am currently working on making an old shirt into a halter top. It won’t be perfect, but it’s going to be unique and something you wouldn’t be able to find online.

1. Embroidery

Embroidery is a really fun and relaxing activity! I know there are a lot of YouTube tutorials that you can find on how to embroider your old clothes. You could embroider flowers or text onto clothes that will add a personalization that everyone will notice.

1. Bedazzle

Okay, this might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but having clothes bedazzled is really growing on me. It’s so funky. It could definitely take a while to attach a lot of sequins to old jeans or shirts, but it would be really rewarding and a cool way to upcycle your old clothes.

1. Bleach

I have definitely seen a lot of people bleaching their old clothes. This is a pretty easy way to give new life to some of your old clothes! There are a lot of possibilities with this and you can pretty much bleach any of your clothes for a fun twist.

Supporting Sustainable Small Businesses

Even though this won’t get you clothes immediately, supporting small businesses that are sustainable is so important! I know a lot of these types of stores are selling gift cards through Instagram or are offering free delivery for clothes they have listed on their websites. We need to support these small businesses who might be struggling during this pandemic.

Just because we are all stuck in our houses, we can still find ways to support sustainable fashion. Online thrifting, upcycling, and supporting small businesses are all great ways to get some great new spring clothing, while still caring for the environment!

Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!