How to Look Cute at Parties in the Winter Months

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Buckle up (or should I say button up?) because I’m about to tell you the secret that every single girl is dying to know. Is possible to look cute at a party while freezing your ass off in the middle of the winter months?

Before I reveal the classified information, I will first begin by allowing for each of us to momentarily mourn our losses. Gone are the days of sleeveless body suits, backless blouses and denim miniskirts. And even further in the past? The days of being able to throw on snow boots, a puffy jacket zipped up by your mother, and a hat that usually as bright pink as your cheeks from rolling around in the snow all day.

I understand. You dwell on these moments as you walk down Broad and when you find the need to announce to the person beside you that you’re losing body heat with each step you take down it.

Those moments seem so far away it’s almost impossible to think of the fifth grade version of yourself that would gladly spend a full day in the snow. It may be a more clear memory, but taking narcissistic-bathroom-selfies with your girls before hitting the pool seem just as distant. But, no matter how much you do, it isn’t going to make the days of summer come back any sooner. It’s like what I tell my closests friends who whine about a rando guy who ghosted them after a hookup. They’ll be back. Just give it six months.

So, ladies, let’s stop complaining and work with what we’ve got. Because, yes, it is possible to freeze your booty off AND still manage to make it look good while doing so.

1. Over-the-Knee Boots

I begin here because I believe over the knee boots to be a staple item. I feel as though the gods – I mean ALDO – handed me a pair of over-the-knee boots just so they could be be matched with a red lip and the undoubtful power of feeling like you could completely crush one man’s fragile ego with each heeled step you take in them.

2.  Deep V long-sleeved body suits and cropped sweaters

Ah! Behold! It’s like when Dunkin’ brings out their holiday flavors to be added to classic latte. They seem like a mutant cousins to the classic, but don’t underestimate how good they look when you try them out, coffee and cropped sweater alike.

3. Motos, jean jackets, and leathers

It’s alllllll about the layers. Jackets thrown on top of slip dresses or those summer-esque halters keep it classy and sexy and – bonus! – keep you warm.

4. Tight turtlenecks

For my ladies who got a lil too much going on in the chest to not be able to rock a deep V without giving the whole party a Double-D sized show, or if they’re just not your thing, tight turtlenecks tucked into some trousers are so seventies and so flattering.

5. Tights, pencil skirt, off the shoulder top

If you’re going to sacrifice the one part of your body to the cold, then free those shoulders, girl. It’s a timeless classic; The skirt and tights combo can also be made trendy with some sock-boots added to the mix.

Of course, keep in mind, lookin’ hot can turn into lookin’ AND feeling hot, even when the temperatures outside are hitting the thirties. Apartment parties get packed and can get pretty sweaty so keep the peacoat on the hanger before you go, sis.

Morgan Sullivan is a second year communications major at Temple University. She enjoys giving life advice, working out at the gym, and food that is birthday cake flavored. She is the editor of the opinion section at HCTU and hopes you like what she has to say. 
Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus