How To Bounce Back After Rejection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Let’s face it: we can’t all be winners. As students, we face the possibility of rejection every day, either because of our age, our genders, our partners who simply can’t keep up with us, or that infamous F we occasionally receive. However, we shouldn’t let those minor hiccups in our lives hinder us from reaching our ultimate goals.

We tend to face discrimination as women. We’re not strong enough; we’re too emotional; we’re biased. That’s what society thinks of us. So how do we bounce back from that? It’s quite simple, actually: prove them wrong. If an employer won’t hire you because you’re female, apply for another job. Then send them an email updating them on your successes that you’ve accomplished without them. Then wish them a nice day, of course. It’s easy to get discouraged when you don’t get that job you really wanted or the ideal internship. Trust me; I’ve applied for at least a hundred jobs since I was fourteen. Every time I was rejected, it lowered my confidence down a level. After what seemed like the 80th rejection, I told myself that maybe there was a reason I didn’t get that job. Perhaps the fault, or job, was not in my “stars” (and yes, I am referencing John Green).  In the same way, you, too, should remind yourself that there are so many opportunities out there, and just because you don’t get the job or internship today, does not mean that you won’t get one tomorrow. Never lose hope!

The world of academics can sometimes seem like it balances on a Black or White seesaw – you either make it or you don’t. But I’ve realized after a few failures myself, that you can’t let things like that discourage you for too long. Accept the fact that you failed, understand why you failed, and learn from your mistakes so you don’t fail again. I think most people tend to dwell on the world “fail” too much as well. Don’t interpret failure as something discouraging. Rather, take it as a way for you to do better than you did before. Once you’re down, there’s nowhere else to go but up!

While bouncing back from a bad grade or not getting that job or internship is difficult, bouncing back from a failed relationship can be very trying. It takes more than just someone telling you that you can do better. It’s a process. But here’s a tip on how to mitigate that process: remind yourself of how awesome you are. Whether the end of the relationship was someone’s fault or simply a falling out, always remember that you are a beautiful person inside and out and that maybe the breakup was for the best! And if you need to cry it out, that’s okay, too. Just remember that no one person can break you. Only you can break yourself!

Saskia Kercy is a sophomore International Communication Studies major at Temple University and is loving every minute of it! When she's not writing for Her Campus or her own personal blog, she is out ravishing in life's edible pleasures and rallying for equality in her community. A research intern at University of Pennsylvania's Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program, she is working towards a career that will empower all people to have the ability and courage to express themselves no matter their race, gender, or economic backgrounds.
Lindsey is a senior magazine journalism major at Temple University. After she graduates in May she hopes to return to NYC, which she fell in love with this summer during her ASME internship at Real Simple magazine.