Beyonce at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Beyonce at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Cliff Lipson / CBS

How Beyoncé Executed Her Homecoming Stop on the Renaissance World Tour 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

The last time Beyoncé performed in her hometown, Houston, was in 2018 alongside her husband Jay-Z for the On The Run Tour II. Being that it’s been five years since the dubbed “queen” has performed for her fellow Texans, what did this performance mean for her fans and how did the woman who means so much to the city of Houston exhibit her homecoming? 

Beyoncé’s Renaissance tour has been one of the most anticipated, documented, and relished tours of 2023. The tour, starting in Stockholm, has demanded attraction from fans globally. Not just because of its multiple unique themes of disco, robotic eye-catching outfits, and visual teasers that fans have been anticipating since the album’s release. With the icon’s hometown of Houston being one of the last cities of the tour, fans wondered what she would bring to this highly anticipated stop. 

For starters, the singer performed with her first-born Blue Ivy Carter. Blue Ivy made her first appearance on the tour in Paris on May 26 and since then has been gracing most of the stages of the Renaissance tour alongside her mother and other Renaissance performers. Not every city got the luxury of seeing the icon and her off-spring but it was only right the singer presented her daughter to the city of her roots. Additionally, Beyoncé blessed her hometown with the songs her fans have designated as the big three. The big three include “All Up In Your Mind”, “Thique”, and the legendary “Drunk In Love”. Her first time performing “the big three” was in Stockholm and didn’t perform it again until her third night in Atlanta. Since then, fans have hoped for their presence at every show after that.  

Obviously, only a few cities were lucky enough to experience the very infrequent performances, Houston being one of the few. Lastly, Beyoncé introduced Houston’s very own Megan Thee Stallion for a performance of their record together “Savage”. Megan Thee Stallion came out on both nights of the Houston stop of the tour and described the performance as a full circle moment. She mentioned in a Tik Tok that she and her late mother both loved Beyoncé. Also Before fame she would tell herself that she’d be the “rap Beyoncé”. With that bid, one can only imagine how much this performance that took place in both artist’s hometown meant to the both of them. 

Towards the end of the show she referenced an early childhood video of her saying “I would like to thank the judges for picking me, my parents who I love, I love you Houston.” Though the singer no longer has to thank judges for their approval, she replaced that part with thanks to God. Beyoncé delivered an unforgettable performance, as always, while also being able to reconnect and pay homage to her roots. The outfits, the dances, and the vocals presented at the Houston shows alongside the other surprises Beyoncé led along the performance definitely gave Houston fans a night to remember. This was definitely the homecoming her Houston fans deserved.  

Temple University 2025 Journalism Major Writer for the Fashion and Beauty section for Her Campus Temple IG: @wynterryvette