Homecoming Queen Candidate Tiffany Dean is Determined to Change North Philadelphia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Look out, Temple University — senior student Tiffany Dean is coming for the Homecoming Queen title! As a former Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation scholarship recipient and future Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist, she definitely has all of the credentials to do so. After talking with Tiffany about her future and her plans if voted Homecoming Queen, it is easy to see that she is a caring and helpful person. Currently, Tiffany is a tutor and mentor to Philadelphia high school students at Temple University’s Upward Bound Program.

“It warms my heart to be able to play a major role in the lives of these students, for the more I see others succeed, the more I want to give back,” she says about her duties like helping with SAT prep and filling out college applications.

Looking for a Homecoming Queen that is ready to improve our beloved North Philadelphia? Tiffany is your girl. See if she’ll get your vote!

If you were a part of any salad, what part would you be and why? “If I were a part of any salad, I would be the dressing because it tops everything off and brings it all together.”  

Most embarrassing moment: “My most embarrassing moment was when I was in high school.  There was this place where everyone would gather between classes, and I mean everyone.  It just so happened that the day I chose to wear this new, cute skirt with high heels, was the same day the floors were waxed. I was walking in front of everyone, slipped and literally flew in the air.  I landed on my back, feet spread and skirt uplifted.  Needless to say whoever saw me, got a show that day.”

Hobbies: “My favorite hobbies include singing, shopping, writing poetry, mentoring youth, hanging with friends, traveling and loc maintenance.”

Plans after college: “Upon graduating from Temple University, I plan to work as a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) focusing on children with ADHD and Autism. After working as a CTRS for a number of years, I would like to open my own recreation facility for children with disabilities.”

Why should you be Homecoming Queen? “It is my goal to increase unity in Temple’s community. I believe that this is possible by encouraging my peers to engage in community service projects around the North Philadelphia area and get involved in activities and events on campus. It is my belief that in order to embody Temple spirit, you must be someone who is involved and gives back to the community. I have volunteered at the Widener Memorial School, American DanceWheels Foundation, and the Philadelphia Protestant Home to name a few. As a result of being involved in a number of on campus events, my spirit for this university has become a part of my identity. By exemplifying my passion to help others, give back to the community, and get involved, I intend to inspire others to do the same.”

Tiffany’s mission as Homecoming Queen — helping those around her — is just her life goal. As a girl who embodies compassion, care and goodwill in her everyday life, imagine how she could improve Temple and the community that surrounds us.

You can vote for Tiffany or any of the other Homecoming candidates on Temple’s Homecoming Court website.

Kaitlin is an alumna of Temple University where she graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. At Temple, she served as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple and was a founding member and former Public Relations Vice President for the Iota Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta.  She currently serves Her Campus Media as a Region Leader and Chapter Advisor and was formally a Feature Writer for Fashion, Beauty and Health.
Jennifer Nguyen is a senior journalism student at Temple. She has been a part of Her Campus Temple since its formation in 2010 and being a part of HCTU has been one of the best things she has ever done. She aspires to be a magazine writer in New York after graduation. Jennifer is passionate about learning more about the world around her and hopes to travel the world one day. As a journalist, she strives to share the stories of people whose voices need to be heard. In her spare time, she loves reading French literature, learning languages and watching Bravo reality TV shows.