Health & Fitness: Choosing healthy foods over fatty foods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

It’s hard to eat healthy when you can smell the delicious aroma of sweet and greasy foods from a mile away. With a ton of lunch trucks to choose from and barely any time to prepare healthy meals, class work and
homework tend to take precedence over nurturing your body. But the benefits of eating nutritious meals are well worth the extra work, and trust us, you too can improve your dining habits.

“You have one body,” English major Emily Rupert says. “Give it what it needs and not what your tongue wants.”

According to livestrong.com, roughly 3.2 percent of all new cancer cases are estimated to be associated with obesity. That’s about 41,000 new cases of cancer each year, the National Cancer Institute reports. So, in the long run, poor eating habits can affect a lot more than your waistline.

Typical scenario: you’re late for a class and quickly purchase a pretzel at Annie Anne’s. Without even realizing it, you just consumed 310 calories and you’re not even full. Easy alternative? Grab a handful of whole wheat pretzels to dip in honey mustard and pair it with a fruit cup instead. To motivate yourself, just think about how you’re benefitting your body.

This is the first step to eating healthy — watching what snacks you consume on a daily basis. When it comes
to meals, you should plan ahead. If possible, make your own meals the night before class, like a grilled

chicken salad, and pack it up to go. The whole DIY food movement can be a lot better then spending big bucks for organic food on campus.

“I always wish that healthy alternatives weren’t as expensive,” Rupert says. “I feel like if it was more affordable, I would go for fresh vegetables instead of frozen.”

“Many healthy options are more expensive than unhealthy options, as well as less accessible than unhealthy options,” Jessica Cohen, a Political Science/Spanish major, says. “I feel that this is a shame.”

Jaimee Swift is a Senior majoring in Communications. One of her many dreams is to become a broadcast journalist and to meet and work with the infamous Anderson Cooper. Her hobbies include reading everything in sight, running, dancing crazily, laughing uber hard, watching movies, and consuming as much juice as possible. Jaimee is so overjoyed to be a part of such a magnificent site such as Her Campus Temple University. Ever since the days of her youth, she has strives to make a difference and bring positive change to all that she touches. She still holds on to that mindset and hopes to bring positivity and creativity to Her Campus Temple University!