This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Women are constantly questioning their appearance, altering their style for everyone but themselves. Today, with trends constantly changing, women find themselves in an ongoing competition to fit in with all the latest looks. While society is becoming more accepting of unique style choices, there is still a lack of support. Having confidence in ourselves as strong women is important inside and out. It is certainly not all about your looks, but here are some style tips that might help you be more confident when feeling down.

Tip #1: Get Ready for Yourself

Don’t underestimate a good self-care day! Dedicate a day to yourself, take quality time and get ready just because. While it may seem like a waste of time, who cares?! Take an extra long time taking a shower and going through your full makeup routine. Most times, it looks the best when you have nowhere to go and no one is watching anyway. Put on the outfit that makes everyone want to stop and stare. Don’t hesitate to dress up or down, as it is all about what makes you happy when you put it on. That dress that has been eyeing you from your closet but you have nowhere to go in it – this is the time for that dress. Put it on feeling your best from top to bottom and take yourself out to dinner. A certain energy comes with eating alone. People usually shy away from it but treat yourself! Getting ready will instill a certain confidence in yourself and nobody deserves to accompany you on your night out! Take life in while looking and feeling your best!

Tip #2: Experiment

Wear something that is completely opposite of your normal style choices. If you hate it, try it in different ways and experiment with it! Start small-try on a color that is out of your comfort zone. These small risks will add up and allow you to be more confident with a variety of fashion choices. You’ll expand your style and rock something that you never thought you could wear. 

Tip #3: Find Your Inspiration

Start a new Pinterest board. Try some of the things that those who influence your style do and make it your own. Allow yourself to fall in love with the style you look up to! Do not restrict yourself from wearing something that you think you could never wear. Gather all your inspirations and start tackling them, so you can inspire others. 

Tip #4: Show Off Your Strengths & Embrace Your Weaknesses

You know your body better than anyone else, and you know what makes your figure pop! Dress to impress and allow yourself to feel comfortable, so it makes it easier to wear your outfit with confidence. Flaunt what makes you feel weak at times. Embrace your beauty and show off parts of yourself that makes you feel so incredibly nervous. The more you do something, the more comfortable it becomes. The hardest thing to do is blocking out what people say and the judgement you think you will experience because of what you wear. But with time, the biggest thing to work on is blocking out all those voices. Write down something that you feel good about everytime you leave and wear it with pride! Once you get into this routine, you can walk out in anything and make it jaw dropping. 

Tip #5: Make It You

Find what makes you feel like your authentic self in your wardrobe. Take a day to shop for yourself without anyone’s input and buy what catches your eye. Be your own drama and buy the leopard jacket that stands out in a crowd and is begging others to stare. Being different and embracing your differences will always give you a sense of power. Be your own character in your clothing and show it off like you are on the runway everywhere. Don’t doubt yourself-wearing your favorite pieces with confidence will translate. That confidence transfers from person to person causing them to look up to you without even giving them a reason. It is impossible to always be confident, so at times you have to fake it ’til you make it. Have an outfit on deck that is your staple if you fall into the trap of having nothing to wear. At least you know that you have a fall-back plan that will work everytime. Prepare it in your closet and pull it out when needed. Lastly, sign your look. Create your own signature style and find that one thing that you make a mark with. 

Put your best suit on, both literally and figuratively. Your attire can make you focus and help you and others understand who you are. Wear what your dream-self would wear and slowly become your goal. Make styling yourself a component of growth towards being confident in yourself one day at a time. We are all beautiful inside and out and must take time to celebrate our beauty and show it off to the world. 

Alice is a staff writer for HerCampus at Temple University. She is an advertising major, has an adventurous soul, and is always up for exploration. The fashion world excites her and she has a huge passion for traveling. She loves meeting new people and is always looking to embrace new cultures. Alice wears her heart on her sleeve, dives into new things headfirst with a smile so don't hesitate to reach out especially if you want to talk fashion!
I'm a social media fanatic. Between my work as a rising senior public relations student at Temple University and my personal blog (living-with-love.com) hobby, you can always find me on my phone. I'm from a small town in Connecticut and spend my free time doing barre workouts, rewatching television series, and reading new books. I joined HC as my first organization at college, and I can't imagine ending my academic career leading anywhere else!