This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

With a lot of Halloween festivities being cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Halloween will have to be celebrated at home this year. However, this setback shouldn’t ruin your entire holiday. There are a lot of ways to get into the Halloween spirit, one of them is a Halloween movie binge watch party! Just like virtually anyone else, I’m super bummed about Halloween festivities being limited this year. However, in an attempt to lift my spirits, I’ve been watching 2 Halloween films every day the entire month of October. Many follow the 31 Nights of Halloween schedule produced by Freeform every year however, I went with my own schedule. Now that Halloween is creeping on us, I have the top 10 movies to watch to get into the Halloween spirit. These films are a combination of childhood classics and true horror films. 5 of each, enjoy!

1. Halloweentown 

I don’t think an introduction is needed. This movie is by far one of the best Halloween DCOMs. It is also the best one in the series. Go argue with your friends about it.

1. Ready or Not

This movie is meant to be a thriller but I think it’s funny, but don’t blame me if you don’t think it’s funny though. The plot is unique and it was produced perfectly.

1. Twitches

Another top tier Halloween DCOM. It made me want to be a witch to be completely honest. I also love Tia and Tamera, so them being the leads made it even better. Also, Thanos and the “darkness” actually scared me so props to them. 

1. Crimson Peak

I saw the trailer for this when it first came out and was reluctant to watch it because I thought it was about demons. I love scary movies, but I clock out once I see or hear anything related to demons. When I finally watched it I actually loved everything about it. The story, the actors, the score, everything. It’s one of those films where you really have to pay attention to follow the story and create theories. 

1. Casper

Who doesn’t love a friendly ghost in a big castle? Casper is such a classic, I don’t think anyone could ever dislike Casper. Case closed, moving along.

1. Halloween (2018)

I am a big fan of the entire Halloween film series. Every single movie in the series is so well put together. The most recent release from 2018, was a favorite of mine. With the introduction of Laurie’s family to her being able to finally face Michael again and get rid of him for good. The franchise also has 2 movies set to come out between next year and 2022 so there’s no better time to catch up than now!

1. Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed

Scooby-Doo and Mystery Inc will always be a great option to watch spooky szn content, Whether you’re watching the tv series or the actual movies. Monsters Unleashed is the superior Scooby-Doo film as well so it needed a place on this list. 

1. Us

The most talked-about horror film simply needs to be on this list. Aside from the creepy plot, the cast is no less than phenomenal. The story, the cast, the soundtrack/score, the setting, everything about this movie is amazing and it’s the perfect film to end the night.

1. Hocus Pocus

Hocus Pocus always makes the Freeform 31 Nights of Halloween watchlist, rightfully so. Similar to Twitches, Hocus Pocus also made me want to be a witch at least for a single night. The color waves in the film between the three witch sisters are so satisfying to look at on top of the film being amazing. 

1. The Invisible Man

This is another film where I was hesitant to watch. Again, I was put off by the thought of demons being included. However, a friend of mine recommended the film to me and I caved in. I was not in any way, shape, or form disappointed. It’s a slow burn so it’ll take time for it to build up, but once it reaches the height of the film, everything will make sense. 

While everyone loves a good Halloween party, in an attempt to keep yourself and those around you safe, a movie marathon night is a quick and easy solution. This way, you can ensure the Halloween spirit isn’t completely lost. You can have it with your roommates or over zoom/facetime/ group watch with your friends. If you want a different range of spooky movies, Letterboxd is a social media platform for movie lovers and you can look up reviews for films and compile your own 31 Nights of Halloween movie marathon list. Happy Halloween!

I am a freshman communication studies major with a minor in public relations. I am passionate about proving black women a platform to share their stories and live in their truth.
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!