Halloween Costumes and the Mean Girls Mentality: How You Can Avoid Baring Too Much

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

In the ever-so-popular Lindsay Lohan hit, Mean Girls, one line stands out this time of year: “In the real world, Halloween is when kids dress up in costumes and beg for candy. In Girl World, Halloween is the one day a year when a girl can dress up like a total slut and no other girls can say anything else about it.” Why is this? What is it about Halloween that makes defying the societal rules of “appropriate” acceptable? Do college guys actually like girls who go for sexy, or can they appreciate those who go for funny and clever?

Temple sophomore Dave Drosdick admits that although guys aren’t going to turn away the slutty costumes, “funny ones can be awesome too.”

Although everyone is dressed in costumes for this formerly frightening holiday, a costume does not disguise your identity.  It is common to see females dressed in costumes that resemble l

ingerie or bathing suits on Halloween weekend.  Halloween has gone from scary to sexy in the “girl world” and the question is why?
            These costumes act as a fantasy in which one is allowed to dress in a false identity for one night.  Just think of how many “school teachers” or “librarians” you see walking around with short skirts and half shirts on during this holiday.  These sexy costumes are forms of fantasies that should really be saved for fun after hours.

There are various costume alternatives that are not only less risqué, but also may keep you a little warmer on the chilly October night!  Instead of winning over the guys by showing them what our mothers gave us, why not try to stand out by leaving something to the imagination and surprising them with something clever? Believe it or not, there are still some costumes out there that are not completely revealing, but are still cute and flirty.

Sandy from Grease is still flattering to the figure but keeps it classy. This is a great outfit to dance in without having to worry that people are going to see a little too much skin.

Also, this Greek Goddess costume will accentuate your gorgeous features without showing too much skin. This dress looks great on any figure and is a guaranteed head-turner at a party.
Finally, if you would like to go for funny, there are plenty of great costumes out there. This Spartan cheerleader will certainly win over the crowd because, let’s face it, everyone loves a good SNL skit!

Jaimee Swift is a Senior majoring in Communications. One of her many dreams is to become a broadcast journalist and to meet and work with the infamous Anderson Cooper. Her hobbies include reading everything in sight, running, dancing crazily, laughing uber hard, watching movies, and consuming as much juice as possible. Jaimee is so overjoyed to be a part of such a magnificent site such as Her Campus Temple University. Ever since the days of her youth, she has strives to make a difference and bring positive change to all that she touches. She still holds on to that mindset and hopes to bring positivity and creativity to Her Campus Temple University!