Go Out and Get Your Dream Internship!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

The deadline for applying to summer internships is fast approaching; time to get in your applications and start interviewing. There is an ideal internship out there for all of us and guess what? You can get your dream internship!  There is still time left to apply for a summer internship, but you have to get started on it right away.
Here are a few tips to helping you get and succeed at your dream internship.

1. First, you need to apply to the places where you would like to work.

Almost every one of Temple’s program has an internship program, go to your respective department and sign up for the listserv. You will get emails about internship opportunities every week. You can even sign up for listservs from other departments. I’m public relations major and I’m signed up for the public relations, advertising, and marketing listservs.

You can also look for internships on your own. Look on the website of the company that you would like to work for and stay on the lookout for internship opportunities. Attend career fairs and remember to get a business card from every single person that you meet. It is important to have conversations with the people that you meet and learn about them, you might learn something that can help you get a jumpstart on your career. Take advantage of the opportunities to meet and talk with the professionals at career fairs. They are there to help you.

If you are interested in interning at a place that isn’t looking for an intern, send them your resume and cover letter. You would be surprised how many companies are willing to take on interns. Remember the people that you met at the career fairs? Email them your resume and cover letter. The worst thing that they can say is no. Dianna Guerin, former associate program director for career development at the Center for Arts Education says that “the biggest mistake that people make when looking for an internship is thinking they are not qualified based on reading a job description and then not applying. Don’t let the job description intimidate you!  Employers would rather have someone highly motivated and less experienced than the other way around. After all, you can teach someone skills but you can’t teach motivation that must come from within.”

So go head, email your resume and cover letter to your dream employer, but don’t limit your own options. Apply to all of the internships that interest you. Don’t be discouraged when you don’t get hired, keep trying.

Dana Saewitz is an associate professor and also run’s the internship program for the department of advertising and says that the key to getting a call back is how you position yourself. “Think about the fact that the employer has 100 resumes on their desk.” It is important to think of yourself as a brand and market yourself to the employer. Start with a strong and consistent resume and cover letter.  The cover letter is extremely important; it is more personal than your resume.

2. You sent out your resumes and got a call back for an interview, now what?

The first thing that you need to do is research the company. Guerin helped me get my first internship at Bloomingdale’s and she stressed the importance of researching the company before you go to the interview. The last thing you want to do is go on an interview without knowing the company’s background and current situation. Saewitz says that it is important that you have a list of questions for the employer before you interview with them. Asking the employer questions shows them that you know something about the company and that you really want to learn more.

Remember, to dress for success! What constitutes as “dressing for success” will vary depending on where you are interviewing, but it is important to always look polished and like you’re going on a job interview not to a Saturday night party. Speak with confidence! Sit straight up, try not to use filler words, if you need a second to think about your answer to the question don’t be afraid to take your time, have good eye contact. Don’t talk too much; sometimes when people get nervous they tend to say more than needed. After you answer the question, stop! Have a firm handshake and don’t forget to ask for their business card once the interview is over. Once you leave the interview, send a thank-you note. A hand written note is always nice. Saewitz said that she keeps all of the hand written cards that she receives. If for any reason you can’t send a hand written card, go ahead and send an email, but make sure that you thank the employer for their time and remind them that you would really love to work at their company.

3. You got the job!

You wanted the internship, now work hard every day to show the employer that hiring you wasn’t a mistake. Guerin gave the best advice for succeeding at your internship, remember that you are always interviewing for the job everyday that you are at the internship. So, it’s important to put your best foot forward each and every day. You may not feel like it, but they are noticing” Try to arrive 10 minutes early every day. There is a saying that goes “if you’re early you’re on time, if you’re on time you’re late, and if you’re late you’re fired.” Make sure that you always have a positive attitude, ask questions, offer suggestions, offer to do extra work. You never know what the internship can lead to.

So go head apply for the internship that you have been dreaming about. You can get it and do great at it. All it takes is ambition, motivation, and dedication! You can do it!

Jaimee Swift is a Senior majoring in Communications. One of her many dreams is to become a broadcast journalist and to meet and work with the infamous Anderson Cooper. Her hobbies include reading everything in sight, running, dancing crazily, laughing uber hard, watching movies, and consuming as much juice as possible. Jaimee is so overjoyed to be a part of such a magnificent site such as Her Campus Temple University. Ever since the days of her youth, she has strives to make a difference and bring positive change to all that she touches. She still holds on to that mindset and hopes to bring positivity and creativity to Her Campus Temple University!