This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

There are few things that are more fluent than our music tastes. Many of us flow seamlessly between genres and playlists, trying to find what fits our current mood. No matter how often you hit the shuffle button, here are a few no-skip albums that are an absolute must-listen.

Finding a no-skip album is something many of us would be hard pressed to find, so I did (some) of the work for you. These selections cross over multiple genres, in an attempt to hit at different interests and moods. Some of these albums are short while some range on the longer side, just to fit different preferences. 

I also tried to provide a healthy mixture of well known albums with some made by artists you may have never heard of. If any of the genres on this list don’t fit your style, this could be the time to try something new; you might surprise yourself!

Swimming by Mac Miller

Arguably one of Mac’s best and most cohesive albums came right before his unfortunate and unexpected death back in September of 2018. The powerful lyricism and nostalgia-inducing backtracks help inspire unconscious reflection on our lives. 

The undertones of mortality and humanity expressed through music helps listeners to understand the music beyond its surface level, whether they are fully aware of it or not. The structure of the album, itself, consists of songs flowing in and out of each other, making the entire listening experience feel seamless.

Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can’t We? by The Cranberries

This album contains two of The Cranberries most well known songs, “Linger” and “Dreams.” The Irish-based band has a common theme of Indie pop and rock, with this album being a true staple in their discography. Dating back to March 1993, the album is approaching its third decade since debuting yet it undoubtedly remains timeless for many.

With a run time of just under 41 minutes, it’s seemingly the perfect length paired with the perfect melodramatic mood for falls’ transition into winter. Dolores O’Riordan’s vocals are both haunting and mesmerizing at the same time — her voice and lyrical delivery transporting listeners to the Irish countryside in the middle of a gloomy afternoon.

THIS IS NOT WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE by ella jane

This is the shortest album on the list but it certainly demands your attention, nonetheless. Ella originally gained popularity for her musical skills on TikTok, posting snippets of original songs like “AUGUST IS A FEVER” and “nothing else i could do” gained lots of traction on everyone’s favorite app to mindlessly scroll through. 

This album is dream-pop-meets-indie-pop with some smooth bass and guitar and the slight rasp in Ella’s voice that adds so much dimension to her unique sound. Her debut album shows exactly why she’ll be a force to be reckoned with within the music industry so jump on the bandwagon now, while you still can.

SAWAYAMA by Rina Sawayama 

After her debut album release in 2017, Rina Sawayama bursted into the music scene with her self-titled sophomore album. She is able to have her music cross across multiple genres without overwhelming her listeners and, instead, providing a truly unique experience with every song. A consistent theme within Rina’s music is her identity as a Japanese-British woman. Her soft and powerful vocals complement her often intense backtracks and instrumentals in the best way possible. 

The standard version of this album has a 43-minute run time with 13 songs while the deluxe version has 25 songs with a runtime of just under an hour and a half. The deluxe version may be significantly longer but it also contains an Elton John feature and Rina’s fantastic cover of “Love It If We Made It” by the 1975 so it’s definitely worth the full listen.

Three. Two. One. by Lennon Stella

This album is a perfect example of Lennon’s versatility without straying too far from the sound that best portrays her timeless voice. She has been in the music industry since she was 12 years old and only continues to get exponentially better with each release she has. 

This album comes after her debut EP back in 2018, with both pieces of work containing outstanding pop sound mixing between both her smooth and raspy vocals. Stella’s work is the most similar to Ella Jane’s on this list but she exhibits a more mature sound. She has propelled her way into the pop scene and is, for sure, going to be a hitmaker for a long time.

Music taste is completely subjective, which is an essential part of what makes it so interesting. What someone finds amazing, someone else probably finds terrible. However someone else may feel about what you like doesn’t minimize or invalidate what you think is good at all. Hopefully, within these albums and their extensive or brief tracklists, you’re able to find something that you like, potentially helping you uncover even more about your music taste and interests. 

Hi there! My name is Emily, and I'm a senior Media Production student and I'm a staff writer for Arts & Entertainment! Some of my interests include reading, listening to music, and photography!