KATIE STEVENS, MEGHANN FAHY, AISHA DEE
KATIE STEVENS, MEGHANN FAHY, AISHA DEE
Freeform / Jonathan Wenk / Disney Enterprises
Style > Fashion

Fighting Overconsumption

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Over consuming clothing and makeup is becoming a bigger problem within our society. Although there are many factors that go into this there are some ways to decrease it.  

Overconsumption is the act of consuming an excessive amount. When hearing that word most people may think of eating or drinking but it can also be used in the context of fashion and beauty. With the rise of fast fashion, it has become very easy for people to buy products at bulk for a cheap price.   

The fashion and beauty world is very fast paced– trends are constantly starting and dying out. Seeing someone like Kendall Jenner wearing a certain style of clothing and someone like Bella Hadid trying a new makeup style triggers a trend of people wanting to try out the products themselves.

TikTok and Instagram are large contributors since their algorithms favor content that participate in popular trends. This causes people to visit sites such as Shein to get the hottest new clothing pieces, and more for a very affordable price. This is a continuous, and due to how quick microtrends are, it leads to a large chain reaction of people buying lots of clothes, or makeup products and never wearing them.  

A caveat for consumption in general is that it can be done ethically. The most common way to shop sustainably is by shopping second hand, as most sustainable clothing stores are not affordable to most people. A downside to this, however, is that thrift stores have now become a dumping place for the microtrends of last month. That coupled with the increase in prices due to the popularity of shopping second-hand, thrifting for the ideal wardrobe has become more difficult.

There are many ways that we can decrease overconsumption. One thing that can be done is to find a style of clothing or makeup that can be worn longterm. Through platforms like TikTok and Pinterest people can grow into a style that has longevity.

The next step would be to find stores that cater to that chosen style that are affordable and local.

Another step that could be done is to source higher quality clothing, that will last longer. Although this can be pricy, investing in high quality items will ensure that they don’t end up in the “donation” bin. Moreover, if the item is versatile and can be styled in numerous different ways it saves you money from buying more.

Not only does being more cautious when shopping save you money, it also has a big environmental impact. The less product you go through means that there will be less product ending up in the trash or landfills. Before purchasing your large fast-fashion order think of the impact you can make on the culture of overconsumption if you sought other avenues to achieving your ideal style.

Katie Leis

Temple '25

Hi! My name is Katie and I am the TikTok Coordinator for the Temple University Chapter! I post lots of things about our staff as well as pop culture topics, as well as TikTok trends.