Fifty Shades of Freedom: Why the Fifty Shades of Grey Franchise is Productive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

The screen adaptation of the steamy, controversial trilogy Fifty Shades of Grey is premiering in theaters faster than you can say “Mr. Grey will see you now.”

Written by E L James, the page-turning series has become a sensation, selling over one hundred million copies worldwide. The trilogy stemmed from humble beginnings, born as a fan fiction spinoff of the popular vampire romance series Twilight.  James published the erotica online under a pen name initially, known as “Snowqueens Icedragon.”

For those who haven’t raced through the pages themselves, Fifty Shades follows the story of a young, innocent girl Ana and an obscenely wealthy and powerful man, Christian as they fall into what James claims is love, but what others may call lust. Christian and Ana have a sexually intense relationship (to put it rather tastefully) in which he makes her sign a contract dictating her wardrobe, diet and sexual lifestyle, and in return he agrees to care for her every whim.

In an interview with ABC News a few years ago, James giggled and blushed as she was asked about the research process behind the popular series, admitting to scouring the Internet for BDSM culture and watching movies to inspire scenes in the books. James listened as she was told countless negative reviews of the books and responded rather gracefully.

“You cannot own someone’s response, and they are perfectly entitled to their opinion…I sort of wrote it as my midlife crisis, all my fantasies in one,” said James.

This begs the question: is Fifty Shades anti-feminist? Are the readers of the series buying into Ana and Christian’s relationship as the new “relationship goal” so-to-speak? Is this teaching young women to only find confidence from men and not from within? Is Fifty Shades promoting sexual abuse? I would like to answer these questions with a rather simple answer: no. 

The erotic novels sparked anger amongst women due to the controlling and forceful nature of Christian and Ana’s relationship. I don’t blame them for feeling this way. At first glance and examination, I agreed with them.

When it comes to whether or not the book promotes sexual abuse, consider this… we, as the reader, are aware of every thought Ana has. Ana consents to the sex, even if she is sometimes coerced by Christian. If the book were promoting sexual abuse, then why would their “contract” contain safe words to ensure the submissive was not harmed by the dominant?

Christian is sexually possessive, demanding and territorial. To a lot of women, that’s a huge turn-off, but to James obviously that kind of behavior is appealing. Isn’t it counter-productive to criticize a woman’s sexual preference because they are different from your own? That’s like being upset with your friend for liking Coke over Pepsi (you should always choose Coke, but that’s beside the point).

However, the more and more I think about how the books came to be and what has happened because of it, the voice inside of me rejoices because finally women have been given an outlet to express sexuality in the mainstream. Finally.

Regardless of what people may think about the  “dull” or “basic” writing style, the extremely explicit sexual details regarding the “red room of pain,” or how many times the author tries to switch up how she describes an orgasm, I think we can agree on one thing; Fifty Shades has opened up the door to discussion.

It still feels a little bit taboo to openly discuss sexuality and sexual preferences openly as a woman today, and it’s 2015. We can order pizza without lifting a finger but we can’t seem to talk about if we “like it rough” or not in the bedroom without receiving side stares?

I think what is so fascinating and alluring to young women (and older women as well) is that Fifty Shades feels almost forbidden. Yes, it is raunchy. Yes, some of the acts described most women would not even dream of attempting in their right mind. If anything, the book (and movie) has helped to make sex a topic for discussion. I think it’s time that society recognizes that women have sexual desires too, and whether they are common or involve chains, whips, and detailed contracts is completely up to you.

When examining a piece like this, it’s important to remember that this book wasn’t written to encourage any sort of lifestyle. It’s a work of fiction. It’s a middle-aged wife and mother’s fantasy brought to life, giving her attention she never expected (to the horror of her two teenaged sons). Let’s not make a big deal out of this just yet.  

Until then, venture to the theater, buy yourself some over-priced popcorn and candy, and buckle up for a wild ride. Or don’t. That’s is up to you. And isn’t that the way it should be? 

Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be. 
Kaitlin is an alumna of Temple University where she graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. At Temple, she served as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple and was a founding member and former Public Relations Vice President for the Iota Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta.  She currently serves Her Campus Media as a Region Leader and Chapter Advisor and was formally a Feature Writer for Fashion, Beauty and Health.