This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Music helps people like me every single day by providing joy and entertainment. It can help you too!

Whether it is listening to music while walking to class or playing a song on your guitar, most of us incorporate music into our lives. Many of us use music for our enjoyment. But have you ever considered how music influences your brain and mental health? Music is a great way to boost your mood and better your overall mental health. Here are the ways that music can improve your wellbeing.  

Music can help release negative feelings of anxiety and depression.  

Music listeners had higher scores for mental well-being and slightly reduced levels of anxiety and depression compared to people overall. Music soothes your mind from any stress or discomfort you may be feeling.  

Music also reduces feelings of loneliness and isolation.  

I made two of my closest friends because we bonded over a band. Music helps me feel connected to others, as listening to the same music can create a sense of unity. Along with this, listening to songs that capture a struggle you are going through or feeling that you are experiencing can make you feel validated and heard.  

Music diminishes fatigue.  

Relaxing music helps reduce fatigue and maintain muscle endurance when people were engaged in a repetitive task. An increase in energy can allow us to perform well on our daily tasks, so try listening to music when you need an energy boost! 

Music can even treat mental illness.  

Music releases neurochemicals, such as dopamine, which is a neurotransmitter in the brain that’s important for more tangible pleasure, like food. Although this is not a substitute for therapy or medication, this can help people who are struggling with mental illness enhance their quality of life.  

So the next time you feel sad, overwhelmed or tired, try listening to some music that resonates with you. I guarantee that you will feel better.

Meghan is a sophomore psychology major at Temple University. She enjoys reading, traveling to new places, and eating mozzarella sticks.