This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

It’s nothing we all haven’t heard before. We make promises to ourselves that this month or week will be different. We will workout a bunch and finally achieve that “dream body” that we’ve been longing for, or whatever that “dream body” even means. However, as a college student, responsibilities get in the way. We have class, work, extracurriculars, a good sleep schedule to think about, and family and friends to keep up with. In winter, it’s hard to find that motivation especially. It’s frigid out and you’re bundled up. It gets darker earlier and the sun doesn’t come out as much. This gloomy atmosphere creates the lack of desire to do anything productive, including working out. The good news is, it’s never too late to start and even moving your body once all week is better than not. According to Medicine Plus, if you can find time to implement physical activity into your life, you will ultimately feel better, help prevent or control diseases, and have a higher life expectancy.

Along with a healthy diet, exercise plays a role in helping you control your weight. When you feel good, you look good, and of course, this seems obvious. However, working out shouldn’t be based around getting “skinnier” or for getting a “stick figure model.” Starting your desire and drive to workout with that mindset can create an extremely unhealthy way of thinking about exercise. Try to stray from that, and focus on the many other benefits exercise can have. 

Working out in general can improve your mental health and mood. Your body releases chemicals that can improve your mood. This can help you deal with stress and reduce your risk of depression. Try just doing Daily exercise can also reduce your risk of heart disease. Moving your body daily strengthens your heart and improves your circulation and the increased blood flow raises the oxygen levels in your body. This helps lower your risk of heart diseases such as high cholesterol, coronary artery disease, and heart attack. It can also lower your blood sugar levels and help your insulin work better if you need help in managing that. Moving your body throughout the day can also help you sleep better. It can also even increase sexual arousal in women.

In the winter, it’s a lot easier to stay cuddled inside than it is to find the motivation to get up and exercise. The nights come earlier, and the gloomy sky just makes you want to throw a sweatshirt on. Adding exercise to your routine however, can help your mood in the winter time as well as your overall health. If it seems like too much, try starting your day with a 20 minute exercise. This will set a productive tone for your day. Try different movements with your body, adding more each day once you become comfortable. Overall, staying in hibernation this winter during a pandemic can put you in a rut mentally. But remember, don’t be too hard on yourself and listen to your body. 

I'm a social media fanatic. Between my work as a rising senior public relations student at Temple University and my personal blog (living-with-love.com) hobby, you can always find me on my phone. I'm from a small town in Connecticut and spend my free time doing barre workouts, rewatching television series, and reading new books. I joined HC as my first organization at college, and I can't imagine ending my academic career leading anywhere else!