Does Chapstick REALLY Dry Out Your Lips?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

As the colder weather comes around, more of us are running out to the store to stock up on Chapstick. Personally, I’m addicted to Chapstick and I always have some on me wherever I go. But, I stumbled across a few articles saying that it actually dries out your lips, rather than heal them. The catch: you apply more Chapstick and keep buying the product. So, are Chapstick companies trying to scam us into buying more of their products? Will our lips be eternally dry? Here’s the breakdown of if Chapstick is actually good for your lips:

1. Most Chapstick is made for their general purpose—to moisturize your chapped lips. The tricky part is that some Chapsticks include ingredients that dry out your lips. According to Cleveland Clinic, stay away from ingredients such as phenol, menthol, and salicylic acid. If your product is tingling your lips, these ingredients might be inside.

2. If you have sensitive skin, avoid scented or colorful lip balms, as they could irritate your lips instead of soothing them. The more generic and straightforward the product is, the more likely it is to work just fine for you.

3. Another problem with Chapstick is that it can become addicting to apply. The soothing feeling of moisturizing your lips can serve as a stress reliever or coping habit. While there’s nothing wrong with using Chapstick all the time, it may hurt your bank account if you constantly need to restock.

There’s no way to know for sure what the manufacturers’ intentions are, but it definitely makes you question why you’re buying so much lip balm. I personally don’t believe the theory that these products are purposefully made to dry out your lips, but it could definitely be real!

If you’re not fazed by the possibility that these companies may be trying to scam you, remember that it’s especially important to moisturize your lips in the winter time to avoid having dry chapped skin. The great part of the holidays is that all of the holiday flavored balms get released as well. Just make sure to check the ingredients in your product so that you don’t accidentally dry out your lips.

Temple sophomore majoring in journalism and film. Lover of big cities, delicious food, and awesome films.
Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus