Doctors Created Birth Control for Guys and They Couldn’t Handle it

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

A new study of male birth control has been circulating around the news lately. Why? Because the study has been discontinued due to side effects that the men experienced. These side effects include mood swings, weight loss/gain, and acne…..sound familiar ladies?

The study included 320 guys between the age of 18-45 that tested out the male birth control shot. According to CNN, “The injection, given every eight weeks, consisted of 1,000 milligrams of a synthetic form of testosterone and 200 milligrams of norethisterone enanthate”. The shot included high levels of testosterone so the body then shuts down its own production, mainly the production of sperm. Basically it was just a way for men to have sex and not worry about the consequences or the feeling of a condom.

It proved to be a successful study, “The contraceptive method was effective in nearly 96% of continuing users,” according to CNN. 

Although it was successful, the study was quickly discontinued after many guys dropped out of the study. They claimed to have dealt with a great amount of side effects. According to CNN, “Overall, 20 men dropped out early due to side effects. A total of 1,491 adverse events were reported by participants, including injection site pain, muscle pain, increased libido and acne.”

Even though these side effects did occur in some men, researchers believed that many of them were not related to study.

I mean, It’s not like women deal with these same effects every month from our birth control pills.

Female birth control has had the same effects since it was invented in the 1960s, but yet women deal with it and do not back out after only a few short weeks.

There are plenty of contraceptives on the market for women that have been approved by the FDA that have these same exact effects. Nobody stopped these because of their side effects, even though some may say they outweigh the benefits. Slight weight gain makes us work harder in the gym. Acne and mood swings are not our favorites, but they’re still better than getting pregnant.

Using birth control has always been a factor that fell on the burden of women. Women deal with the side effects because they understand the risks that will happen if they stop. We realize that we are the ones that will greatly suffer…for nine, long, pregnant months.

The only current birth control for men is a condom. And let’s be honest, not every guy uses them.

Condoms cause no problems or side effects to men, all they have to do is open it and well, you know. Granted, we wouldn’t enjoy that process either.  Women, on the other hand, have to deal with side effects from taking birth control every single day; side effects that stick with us even after coming off birth control.

Women use birth control for more than just pregnancy prevention. It also helps regulate our menstrual cycle. Male birth control is strictly to not knock up a woman. There is no health benefit to them at all. Honestly, they should just try self control.

Women have to deal with a period, cramps, cravings, and mood swings every single month. We suck it up because we can handle more than men. Sorry, guys, but after this study came out, we’re allowed to say that. Go ahead, get back to your bench press and prove your masculinity.

Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.