DIY Projects That Will Make You Wanna Stay In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Going out on a Friday night is the norm, especially in college, but even the norm can get a bit boring after a while. On the other hand, you may spend your Friday nights snuggled up on your couch watching your latest Netflix addiction, but that may even get boring too.

So how do you have a new kind of fun on a Friday night or any night for that matter? Below are some DIY crafts that will make you want to stay in on a Friday night. It’s art class all over again.

DIY Wine Glass

This craft is a simple yet fun one. All you need is a wine glass, puffy paint, acrylic paint, glitter, and a cute saying. You can get a wine glass at any Dollar Tree. For the other crafting supplies, A.C.  Moore has a wide selection. First paint the acrylic paint where you would like most on the wine glass. Before the paint dries sprinkle on your choice of glitter. Next you are going to take the puffy paint and write out a saying. Some sayings you could use are: “I saved the wine it was trapped in a bottle,” “it is wine o’clock somewhere,” and “if empty refill.” To make your wine glass extra special you can add ribbon or your name to the bottom of the glass. For some more inspiration check out these adorable wine crafts on Pinterest.

Cardboard Cutouts

Have you ever seen those large letters all pretty and decorative on people’s walls? Usually the letters are initials of someone’s name or the first letter of a couple’s name. Thankfully, these letters are both easy and cheap to make. All you need is cardboard, ribbon, scissors, marker, and glue (preferably clear). For this craft you want to lay out the cardboard and decide how big you want your letters. Start tracing out the letters with a marker and don’t worry if you mess up because you can always fix it when you cut them out. You want to make sure that you make the letters big and boxy; the thicker the better. After your letters are cut out grab the ribbon you chose. For this craft a non-transparent ribbon works best. You can use burlap and lace for a decorative rustic look. There are two ways you can do this part of the craft: wrap it or cut out pieces and glue them one. If you decide to wrap your letters all you need is to glue on the ends. If you want a slimmer appearance, make sure to put on enough glue while piecing together because you don’t want them to fall off. After you have the ribbon on you will be able to decide where you want to put it in your room or house. Some fun extra things you can do is add symbols or put a frame around each individual letter. Greek letters are also a fun idea for this craft. You can find a ton of different ideas here.

State Signs

This is a great craft for a personal touch to your home decor. If you go to your local Walmart they have wooden state signs already prepped for you to decorate. For this craft you will need one of those signs, acrylic paint, pictures printed out on photo paper, and mod podge. The first thing you are going to do is paint your entire sign. After the paint is fully dried, you can add a fun saying or your name to the sign with marker or paint. Some example sayings are: “home is where the heart is” and “our love began here.” The next step is to lay out your photos on the sign and secure them on with glue. Once everything is all set up you want to take the mod podge and a brush. Lightly brush on the mod podge over the photos in a downward stroke making sure that there are no streaks. The mod podge dries fairly quickly and will leave a glassy look over your photos. It is important to know that you can’t use mod podge on paper photos they have to be on photo paper or they will crinkle.

These are just a few crafts you can enjoy staying in and making. They are fun, cheap, and easy. You can find a lot more ideas on Pinterest or just by going into your closest craft store.

Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.