This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

If you’ve used TikTok at all in the last six months, you’ve seen the gut health trend. But what’s the journey really like? 

After years of irrational bloating from almost anything I ate, I decided to do a food sensitivity test this past July. While the results were depressing, I can no longer eat so many foods I used to love, the gut health journey has been worth it. Here’s what happened when I had to cut 12 foods from my daily diet. 

I completely ignored my food sensitivities at first because I refused to part from my favorite foods, like pizza. Instead, I attempted to simply lessen the amount of food I was eating if it contained the products I no longer had. However, I quickly realized all of the tolerance I thought I built for foods like dairy was disappearing. 

I was having intense stomach pains almost every day, I was still bloated and I always felt sluggish. I always felt held back by these things, and they became my biggest insecurities. However, the day I decided to completely eliminate every food I was sensitive to, it felt like my life changed. 

I wake up with more energy, and I feel physically lighter than I did before. My skin has gotten clearer, and for the first time I’m not constantly bloated.  

I actually liked my appearance for the first time and feel good about the person I am becoming.  

Almost every day my roommates hear me complaining about how much I miss eating food like pizza or ice cream, but this was a necessary change for the better. I have no regrets about my gut health journey and have never felt better. 

Julia is a national writer at Her Campus, where she mainly covers mental health, wellness, and all things relating to Gen Z. Prior to becoming a national writer, Julia was the wellness intern for Her Campus. Outside of Her Campus, Julia is a managing editor at The Temple News, Temple University's independent student-run paper. She's also the Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Temple University, where she oversees content for all sections of the website. Julia is also a student intern at the Logan Center for Urban Investigative Reporting, where she works on the data desk and is assisting her editor in building a database. She has previously interned at The American Prospect. In her free time, Julia enjoys going to the beach as much as possible, watching reality TV (specifically Real Housewives and Vanderpump Rules), and editing stories.