Life > Academics

College Declassified Survival Guide: Temple University Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Is the college experience REALLY like how it is in the movies? 

For me, being a freshman in college is like being stranded on a desert island and having to learn how to adapt and survive. Is that a little dramatic? Maybe, but sometimes the stress and loneliness of freshman year feels exactly like that. 

Hollywood depicts college as a big, neverending party. Movies make it seem as if the transition from high school to college is a smooth one. In some ways Hollywood’s depiction is true: I kind of did feel like it was one big party during move-in week and freshman orientation. Then syllabus week came and went and reality hit me like a truck. No amount of vlogs or movies could’ve prepared me for this. 

Having to say goodbye to my friends, family, and dog was– and still is– a struggle. The feeling of homesickness still hasn’t worn off and I don’t think it ever will. I just can’t get used to not eating my Mom’s homecooked meals every day. But gaining newfound independence and constantly adapting to this new environment allows me to thrive in ways I wasn’t used to–like learning how to take public transportation.   

I’m starting to get into the habit of how college really is, so I wanted to share my personal College Declassified Survival Guide: Temple University Edition. 

1. Work ahead when you’re feeling productive. I’m not saying I do an entire semester worth of work in a day, but if I am already feeling particularlyproductive and have finished my tasks for the day, then I like to do my future self a favor! I highly recommend this strategy for any writing-intensive courses; Intellectual Heritage, I see you.
  2. Know when to say no…  I learned I didn’t HAVE to go to that party, or that event, or that coffee shop. Having a social life is important, but so is coursework.
  3. … And remember to breathe. When the intensity of my classes started to increase, I felt really overwhelmed. I learned that designating a day or two for some good self-care was exactly what I needed to balance out the stress.
  4. Budget, Budget, Budget. Living on my own made me realize how expensive groceries, online shopping, and going out are– and don’t even get me started on my newfound Richie’s obsession. I definitely recommend brushing up on your money management skills before coming to college.
  1. Don’t limit yourself. I am still trying to work on this myself, but getting involved in anything  you’re interested in is so important. It doesn’t matter what your major is or how skilled you are at something you might end up liking something new and wanting to pursue it further. 

Although college isn’t always like the movies, it truly is what you make of it. I’ve already had so many ups and downs, but everyone at my college is probably in the same boat. Finding emotional and creative outlets through clubs and other activities, balancing study and social time, and remembering to stay well-rested is how I’m learning to keep myself sane. My college survival guide list is still a work-in-progress, but I hope what I’ve learned so far can help you out too!

Jadyn Howard

Temple '25

Hi everyone! I'm Jadyn, a junior journalism student at Temple University. I love to write articles for Her Campus based on my own firsthand experiences and fit that into the bigger picture! Outside of Her Campus, I interned for Temple Office of Global Engagement and Resolve Philly.