Broad City Recap Season 2, Episode 4

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Last week on Broad City we were left with an exciting set up of a date (finally) between Abbi and Jeremy. This week we start off talking about butt hairs, but hey, it’s Broad City, what else did we expect?

Besides the thrilling conversations of hairs and buttocks, we get to meet a gem in this episode – Ilana’s mother. She meets her daughter and Abbi outside a nail salon in Brooklyn to get pampered before Ilana’s grandmother’s funeral, or Shiva. They discuss Grandma Ester and her time spent with Little Richard back in their glory days until Abbi has to go meet Jeremy for their hang out date. She leaves for his house as the Wexler’s go to Chinatown for Mrs. Wexler’s knockoff purse obsession.

When Ilana and her mother arrive in Chinatown, Mrs. Wexler is disgusted with the options in front of her and demands, in Chinese, for better products. The saleswoman takes them to a blue van down the road when they are blind folded and driven to an unknown area. Upon arriving at their destination they are told to go down a manhole in the middle of the street. Mrs. Wexler’s response?

“Now we’re cookin’ with gas! All the good sh*t’s always down a manhole!”

Meanwhile, Abbi and Jeremy tend to be hitting off really well, so well that by the next time we see them they’re already in bed. When Abbi suggests that they switch up positions, Jeremy gets oddly excited and goes into his drawer and takes out a green strap on. Um… what?! Jeremy apologizes about the confusion but Abbi, trying to play it cool, takes it into the bathroom with her to get herself together – which means calling Ilana.

Ilana, still with her bargaining mother, gets the call and is nothing but excited – so happy that she starts twerking on a wall. When Abbi tries to tell her it’s weird, Ilana tells her that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity that she has to take. They hang up and Abbi goes back to Jeremy, strap on assembled and ready to go.

The next morning Jeremy wakes Abbi up to tell that he has to go teach underprivileged children, but she’s welcome to stay as long as she wants. As soon as Jeremy leaves, Abbi decides to clean up his apartment. She places the strap on in the dish washer, makes the bed, hangs up clothes, etc. When the dish washer is done, she removes a bended, misshapen, expensive strap on and is now forced to buy Jeremy a new one.

While at the store she manages to find an exact replica of Jeremy’s strap on and, since she’s already late, is forced to bring it with her to Ilana’s grandma’s Shiva. Upon arrival she is felt up by Ilana’s dad and is openly, and loudly, praised by Ilana for her experimental night with Jermey. Soon all of Ilana’s immediate family, mother, father and brother are invested in the experimental sexual of life of Abbi, even getting a visual sneak peak at the strap on in person. The family praises Abbi for trying something new and she says that she did it for Grandma Ester, providing an emotional moment for everyone.

That night, Abbi reveals herself, again with the strap on although Jeremy’s reaction is different. He immediately recognizes that it is not his strap on and gets mad at Abbi for attempting to use a cheap knockoff on him. The fight soon escalates more and more with Abbi calling Jeremy ‘‘particular about his stuff’’ and Jeremy referring to Abbi as ‘‘judgmental and childish’’. Abbi, angry, leaves Jeremy’s apartment, but not before getting the strap on stuck in the door.

The episode ends with Abbi finally getting over Jeremy with Ilana right by her side for comfort. And the strap on? Although she kept for decoration, she’d might want to think about giving it to Mr. and Mrs. Wexler, both of whom seem willing to use it.

What an episode! A lot of off putting surprises, am I right? To see what’s next in store for these stoner, New Yorker women in their 20s, tune into Comedy Central Wednesdays at 10:30pm EST.

Samantha is a Communications Studies transfer at Temple University. She has an obsession for Slam Poetry/Spoken Word, YouTube videos and, the obvious, Netflix. In her spare time she also enjoys writing scripts, short stories and has also made contributions to Femsplain.com. She hopes to continue her love for writing, especially media content, to Her Campus and wait to find in niche in life.
Kaitlin is an alumna of Temple University where she graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. At Temple, she served as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple and was a founding member and former Public Relations Vice President for the Iota Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta.  She currently serves Her Campus Media as a Region Leader and Chapter Advisor and was formally a Feature Writer for Fashion, Beauty and Health.