Blended Perfection: Favorite Healthy Smoothies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.
Smoothies and juices are so trendy right now, so pull out your NutriBullet and test out 

these yummy AND healthy smoothies! They’re perfect for any time of day, convenient 

for busy students, and guaranteed to brighten the gloomiest of moods. Happy blending!

Breakfast: Almond Apple Smoothie

This smoothie is the perfect start to the morning, and you can even take it on the go. It 

offers 23 grams of protein along with fiber, calcium, and vitamins. And did you know 

that apples give you more natural energy than coffee? Perfect for those crazy mornings! 

Here’s the recipe for what’s basically a healthy apple pie in a glass:

Ingredients:

5 raw almonds, 1 red apple (I recommend Honeycrisp), ¾ cup Greek yogurt , ½ cup 

nonfat milk OR unsweetened almond milk, and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon. 

Then, just chop up the apple and the almonds (depending on the power of your 

blender), blend, and enjoy this creamy breakfast smoothie.

Snack: Berry Bliss

For a simple snack that satisfies your sugar cravings without making you feel lethargic, 

try this yummy green berry smoothie. You don’t need use exact measurements for most 

of the ingredients just slowly add them until you get the desired consistency and flavor.

Ingredients:

Frozen mixed berries, a handful of spinach, ½ banana, 1 teaspoon superfruit smoothie 

powder (I use Navitas Naturals), vanilla Greek yogurt, and water/unsweetened almond 

milk (if the smoothie is too thick).

Do you like tropical fruits more than berries? Just substitute mixed peaches, pineapple, 

mango, and strawberries for the berries, and you’ll have a whole different flavor. This 

recipe is so versatile!

PMS: Chocolate PMS Rescue Smoothie

Is it just about that time of the month? Is every fiber of your being craving chocolate, 

fat, sugar, and everything else that’s bad in this world? Well, the perfect smoothie is 

here for you. 

This delectable drink tastes more like a creamy milkshake than a healthy treat. Also get 

this; it’s not even 300 calories. No extra bloat for you!

Ingredients:

1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 medium banana, 1 tablespoon creamy 

almond butter, 1 teaspoon cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, a handful of 

spinach, and 1 teaspoon (or a little more…) chocolate syrup. 

Blend and enjoy with whipped cream, just because you deserve it, girl. 

Meal substitution/Pre-workout: Pumpkin Pie Protein Shake

What better time of year to sip on a pumpkin protein shake than fall?  This recipe has 

enough calories and protein to keep you satisfied for hours, making it a perfect meal on-

the-go. It’s just as good before you head to the gym for a major sweat sesh. It has just 

the right amount of sweetness,dare I say it’s better (and certainly better for you) than a 

pumpkin spice latte?

Ingredients: 

¾ cup your choice of milk, ¼ cup fat-free half & half OR milk of choice, 1 scoop vanilla 

protein powder, ¼ cup pure pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling!), ¼ cup Cool Whip, 

2-3 tablespoons of sweetener, ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, and 6 ice cubes (optional)

Then, blend it and enjoy with whipped cream and a dash of cinnamon on top. How yum!

Post-Workout: Detox Island Green (Tropical Smoothie Café)

If you go to Temple, chances are you know about Tropical Smoothie Café. They’re 

known for their massive, one-size 24oz smoothies, and their awful customer service. 

Not everyone wants to make the hike to Broad and Cecil B. Moore, or shell out up to $6 

for blended produce.

Ask for a Detox Island Green and the workers blend up kale, spinach, mango, pineapple, 

banana, and fresh ginger for a delicious post-workout snack or pick-me-up treat!
Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.