The Best Easy Food to Keep in Your College Dorm or Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Making meals for yourself in college can be challenging, especially if you don’t have the best cooking skills. With lots of homework, deadlines, and other management skills, sometimes you need a quick and simple breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Easy meals give you the chance to spruce it up and make it tastier. Basic meals that can be heated up actually can be creative if you put your mind to it. When the dining hall isn’t your first choice or you’re running out of money, having these foods in your room can help in desperate times.

Ramen Noodles

While this isn’t the healthiest or tastiest choice, instant ramen noodles are a college classic. This can be a lifesaver if you need a quick lunch in between class or even a late-night snack. The best part is that there are tons of ways to customize them. You can use a microwave or a stovetop (if your living space has one) and add different ingredients. It’s probably not best to rely on ramen noodles, but they are perfect in the necessary situations.

Cinnamon Rolls

Cinnamon rolls can be used as a quick breakfast or a snack. You can heat them up or have one straight from the box. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and many students often start their day without it. You can buy a six-pack at the grocery store and save them for breakfast or even dessert!

Instant Mashed Potatoes

Mashed potatoes are often better home cooked or from a restaurant, but having a pack of instant ones can be a good reminder of Thanksgiving. You can also add different ingredients to your liking. A simple mix of butter, salt, and pepper (my personal choice) can be an option. There are also tons of recipes that you can find online to help you improve basic mashed potatoes.

Instant Rice

Any meal that can be made in a minute is handy in college. This can also be ideal when taking Zoom classes and needing a quick snack in between classes and for a screen break. Rice can also have tons of other food added to it to make it better, both in taste and health.

Finding food to make and eat during college is hard. It’s even harder to take time to cook or spend money to buy food. While your meal plan shouldn’t go to waste and you should treat yourself to a meal out, having quick meals that can be used whenever and however is a necessity.

Jeanne Burge

Temple '24

Jeanne is a sophomore Journalism major at Temple University. She is from Wallingford, PA.
I'm a social media fanatic. Between my work as a rising senior public relations student at Temple University and my personal blog (living-with-love.com) hobby, you can always find me on my phone. I'm from a small town in Connecticut and spend my free time doing barre workouts, rewatching television series, and reading new books. I joined HC as my first organization at college, and I can't imagine ending my academic career leading anywhere else!