This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

I recently got gifted a dry brush. I’ve been wanting to get one for myself, but was unsure of how to use it, when to use it, and the benefits of it. I know it’s super “in” right now as I’ve seen a lot of influencers and celebrities post about it. I’m all about health and wellness and doing anything I can to be my best self, but I think the idea of dry brushing seemed very strange! What is this even going to do for me?

I thought it would be a good idea to research up a bit on dry brushing, everything from the benefits to the routine, so I’m able to use my new dry brush and hopefully get some others on the trend as well. 

If you’re unfamiliar with dry brushing, it’s a daily body massage with a dry, stiff-bristled brush that’s claimed to help get rid of flaky skin, enhance circulation, detoxify, aid digestion, and even improve the look of cellulite. It can detoxify the skin by unclogging your pores and increasing the blood circulation process. Dry brushing also stimulates the nervous system and can leave your skin feeling like you just got a massage. Dead skin cells can be removed to make your skin smoother and gentler. It can also temporarily brighten your skin’s appearance. 

The best time to dry brush is right before taking a shower. Start from the ankles and work your way up in long strokes. Next, move the brush in a circular motion on your stomach and back. Shower immediately after and then be sure to apply lotion to your body since parts may be drier. 

I’m always looking for things to add into my self care routine, and I’m very excited to try this one out! I hope any previous worries or fears about dry brushing you’ve had are debunked and try it out for yourself. 

Hi! My name is Madeline, I'm a sophomore and I'm a Media Studies and Production Major. I'm from South Jersey and I spent most of the summer down the shore. I am either in complete beach mode or complete city mode. I see myself living in the city at one point of my life and would also love to have a beach house of my own when I’m older. My surroundings and atmosphere that I’m in really reflect my mood and day to day life. I love to hangout with friends, read, do yoga, and I just recently learned how to surf and got into running! :)