The Benefits of Getting Involved on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Okay, if you’re in an organization on campus, you already know the endless benefits that can come from it. For those of you who have not been in an organization, this list is for you.

1. More friends!

Getting involved on campus is one of the first ways that people make friends when they come to college. Trying to make new friends can be scary sometimes, but finding a group of people with a similar set of interests can be a rewarding experience. Who knows, you might find a group of lifelong friends.

2. More opportunities!

Depending on the organization you’re in, you might be presented with more opportunities, especially professional opportunities. A lot of organizations offer a networking component or an actual portfolio building component that will help you with your future career.

3. You’re in the know.

Being a part of an organization is kind of like having an in on campus. At Temple, you are actually required to have an event with another organization, so being in the know about your org and other orgs will help you to learn more about the inner workings of campus.

4. You’ll learn what you like and don’t like.

The only way to know if you like something is to try it. Maybe you’ll join a club that you really dislike and you’ll know that isn’t a path for you. A club is a good stepping-stone to an internship so you know what you’re getting yourself into ahead of time.

5. You’ll learn time management!

A huge part of college is time management, everyone knows that. Sometimes, you might have so much free time that you just don’t know what to do with yourself. You’ll end up procrastinating and waiting until the day it’s due to write a ten page paper you’ve had weeks to write. We’ve all been there. Joining an organization helps you to manage your time a little better because you have some commitment other than school.

6. It’s a great resume builder.

Being a part of an organization is something that you can put on your resume and talk about when you’re in an interview. Depending on how involved you become, you might even work your way up to a leadership position which is something employers always love. Aside from leadership skills, you might even learn some actual skills in your organization that you can put on your resume. However, if you don’t learn any “hard” skills, you’ll still learn some soft skills that you can take with you into your future career.

7. You’ll make memories.

College is supposed to be one of the best times of your life. It’s your transition period into adulthood. Even though college can be stressful sometimes, you make the best of it and sometimes that’s with your organization. It just might be the best part of your day, so if you’re thinking about joining an organization on campus, go for it! You never know what might come from it.

Madeline is a sophomore Advertising major at Temple University. She is a total fashion junkie. You can usually find her in a thrift store or at the clearance rack looking for the best prices. She also has a strong love of social media, cats and 90's music. When she's not writing about fashion or beauty, she's writing short stories and poetry or taking photos. She is most happy when she is able to be her quirky, creative self. Madeline can be reached at madeline.archambault@temple.edu. You can also follow her on instagram @madelinearchambault.
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.