Culture > News

Behind the Scenes of an Upcoming Small Business

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Everyone always preaches about supporting small businesses, and although you should, there is rarely any reason as to why you should. I had the ability to interview a small business owner and I can tell you why you should, and how much effort goes into running one.

Ashley Merk, the face behind Made By Merkk had started her business nearly a year ago. After running the business from her bedroom on Etsy, she has recently opened her first in-person location at the Freehold Raceway Mall in New Jersey. Her goal is to stand out so that she can sell her handmade jewelry as well as her clothing.  

From what started off as a hobby she did in her free time, she is now trying to make this a full-time career, but there are numerous obstacles that stand in the way.  

When asked about what made her want to turn her hobby into a full-time business, she said it all started when she went to Los Angeles for the Free Brittney movement. She had started selling necklaces that said #FreeBritney and had made enough money to cover her full trip. With her father having health issues and trying to find a corporate job that fits her desires, she realized selling her jewelry would be a way to spend more time with her family as well as making an income.  

Ashley talked about the process of what it is like to get her inventory, and how expensive and time consuming it is. When first starting out she used to order off amazon, as she was able to get a larger quantity for a smaller price. Now she goes through a process where she orders a small sample size, with both her materials for jewelry and clothing, to see how they are. 

Then depending on how they hold up she will buy a larger quantity at the wholesale price. This way she “feels more confident in the product, and that gives the customer the best product.”  

Of course, during this process, there are going to be many difficulties that will be encountered. The biggest so far, which can be common with all small businesses, is that they are spending more money than they are receiving. With starting a business, the owner needs to buy materials for what they sell, as well as packaging and other supplies to ship it.  

For the Made By Merkk pop up location, it was expensive to open, as well as with her inventory process resulted in a decrease in capital. Despite this being a major issue, Ashey is very hopeful, with the holidays right around the corner she believes that there will be a large increase in sales. After the holiday season, Ashley said that she is planning on operating her business from home for the time being.  

By the time summer comes around again she would ideally like to have multiple pop-up locations, as well as going to some shows, and markets. In a year from now, she would love to have her own boutique style store, so that she can sell her clothing and jewelry year-round.  

When asked about why shopping for small businesses is important to support people within your community. Not only does she love to support other small businesses, but she also loves the fact that she is able to make and get unique products, and personal experience. Her piece of advice to other small business owners is to take risks, listen to feedback and to keep going at it.  

If you are interested in supporting Ashley’s business, you can find her at @madebymerkk and from there you can find her website as well as her email. 

Katie Leis

Temple '25

Hi! My name is Katie and I am the TikTok Coordinator for the Temple University Chapter! I post lots of things about our staff as well as pop culture topics, as well as TikTok trends.