Band of the Week: The Good Mad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Every Monday night at 9 p.m. girls across the country tune into ABC Family’s the “Lying Game,” starring newcomers Allie Gonino and Alexandra Chando. On the January 16th episode, fans were presented with a rare treat when Allie’s character, Laurel, graced the stage for the very first time. When she and her band began to play, a sort of peacefulness filled the air of the show.

These days, it’s a really rare occasion when you hear a song that is honest on television. Mainstream music is often written for the artists, as opposed to by the artists, about topics that don’t emotionally connect to them. Then this band takes the stage and immediately one must stop and take notice because here is a band, here is a sound to overcome the noise.

The Good Mad, composed of the “Lying Game” star Allie Gonino and former Mr. Adventures members Adam Brooks and Andy Fischer (Gonino is also a former Mr. Adventures member), are the ones to change the game. With a sound comparable to that of the Fleet Foxes or Mumford and Sons, this folk/indie band is fighting an uphill battle against mainstream music.
            Brooks, Fischer, and Gonino are all truly unique individuals who offer the perfect mix of quirk and genius the music industry needs. This band, unlike most others, puts song writing among their top priorities.

According to Brooks, this industry is changing in their favor.

“I feel like music’s heading in a better direction these past few years. You know with bands like Arcade Fire and Mumford and Sons, we as an audience are giving them importance now, ” he said.
Not only does Brooks believe that audiences are finally waking up to the talent around them, but he also says that the Internet is changing the music industry. Because of new technology, bands like the Good Mad are more easily accessible than they have ever been before.

When speaking to the talented trio, you can’t help but feel the true musical insight they possess. Gonino began her musical career playing the violin when she was just seven years old and continued on to the mandolin in years to follow. She also sings and now plays the role of the giggly, blonde Laurel on the “Lying Game.” In regard to her favorite hobby, Gonino just enjoys showing her true colors.

“Anyway I can express myself is my favorite,” she said.

Brooks and Fischer, on the other hand, have a real passion for the melodies. Both boys pursued music in a sort of lax fashion until college.

“[I] decided to get good,” Brooks said, referencing when he started to take his passion seriously.
 But when explaining the harmonies in music that they create, all of the members eyes seemed to light up.
“There’s such a joy in singing harmonies because its, like, so weirdly primitive. It just seems like correct when you sing in perfect harmony. It just seems like correct and ancient and cool,” Fischer said.
            Upon being asked why their music is so appealing to create and listen to, Fischer elaborated:
“We’ve been talking about the slithering snake as we call it, its just like this long line of music that’s lasted throughout history, that’s why a song you’ve never heard before can still sound nostalgic.
I guess its kind of trippy concept to explain, I guess we’ve all got a slithering snake in our brains.”

So be the judge and give the Good Mad a listen. Personally I believe that the Good Mad is the start of a revolution; a musical revolution to change the face of the brand from fake to free.

Sources :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Lying_Game_episodes
http://thegoodmad.com/index.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY_HvorLwPQ
http://www.facebook.com/Thegoodmad
The Good Mad band members directly

Jaimee Swift is a Senior majoring in Communications. One of her many dreams is to become a broadcast journalist and to meet and work with the infamous Anderson Cooper. Her hobbies include reading everything in sight, running, dancing crazily, laughing uber hard, watching movies, and consuming as much juice as possible. Jaimee is so overjoyed to be a part of such a magnificent site such as Her Campus Temple University. Ever since the days of her youth, she has strives to make a difference and bring positive change to all that she touches. She still holds on to that mindset and hopes to bring positivity and creativity to Her Campus Temple University!